Protostar without pods…..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuddrucker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever build the Protostar without the pods? I wanted to attach the fins before attaching the pods and after seeing it without them I really liked the look. Also got to thinking about the high probability of them popping off after every landing on a hard lakebed I decided to leave them off. I am pleased with the way it turned out without them and a different paint scheme. Thought I’d share and see if anyone else has done the same.

Fudd

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I built mine with the pods but bought an extra just to get the extra set of pods. I used them as the noses for three classic early 80s exotics.

I really like that look. The first Protostar I built popped (and continues to pop) the pods off on every landing. I can bring it down on a 30 inch chute and never fails. Pod pops off. I might just remove them and go with this look. I don't fly it much anymore as I'm tried of fixing it.

I have a second one hanging on the wall waiting to be built. Somewhere along the way I found a supplier that made a fin upgrade with tabs that go into the pods so I grabbed a set. That should prevent any further issues with them popping off.

Somewhere along the way I found a supplier that made a fin upgrade with tabs that go into the pods so I grabbed a set. That should prevent any further issues with them popping off.
That's what I did on the one build I've done with fin-tip pods like that. I was completely paranoid about pods surviving landing. In my case the fin tab fit into a slot gouged out of solid balsa, when assembled the whole thing was truly one piece, ridiculously strong. Tabs in pods is the only way to go when the pods will be touching down first.

Come on Neil, are you saying you didn't put a ring on instead of the pods? :) :) :)

I think it looks good and it'll probably be the only one like it in a 500 mile radius at least. Gotta love that!

-Bob

. I was completely paranoid about pods surviving landing.
I like the look without the pods.

among likely many solutions however to “pod-popping” are

1. Rear eject.

2. Reverse delta the fins, so rocket impacts motor casing first (my technique with most parachute or streamer SCRATCH models.). Maaaaaay need a bit of nose weight as will at least slightly unfavorably alter CP/CG. I’ve always been partial to forward swept fins.

edit: would need to reverse the lateral fin con concavity to get the pods straight.

I've got one of these in the to-build pile and the look without the pods is giving me ideas. I think it looks pretty good like that....

I like that look.

Mine kept its pods for many flights, probably because I use bigger than stock chutes as a matter of course. (I've found many kit rockets break when landing on stock chutes at 5500' elevation.)

Then one launch day rockets were drifting more than expected, so I switched to the stock... and broke a pod off. It actually took part of the fin with it. I plan to repair it but leave the repair visible, like the hoopties with mismatched fenders I see driving around here.

I have another to build, maybe I'll consider leaving off the pods or doing different pods or something. I'll probably also make it rear ejection.

Last edited:
I plan to repair it but leave the repair visible, like the hoopties with mismatched fenders I see driving around here.
Hooptie (from Urban Dictionary, I had to look it up)

Any car that meets the following:

a) driver must enter car through passenger side

b) three different brand and size tires - 3 of them missing hubcap

c) exhaust is held up by half a clothes hanger - other half replaces the antenna

d) backfires every three blocks - loudest backfire being when car is turned off

e) must open door at drive-threws as windows don't roll down

f) you only get one AM station and the tape deck eats all tapes inserted

g) can't open the glove box as the whole thing will fall out

h) if you let go of steering wheel while driving you'll make a u-turn

i) must manually move blinker lever up and down as it no longer blinks on it's own

j) must keep one foot on brake and one on accelerator when at a complete stop

k) has had the same temporary registration sticker in the window for the last 18 months

l) has all the above issues but still has a $200 professional tint job

"Hey fool...you gotta have the phattesthooptie in town!"

by D. Ferrel September 24, 2003

I did an "Protostar II" in name, but really the fins are plywood with tabs (including fin tip tabs that go into the pods for strength), the nosecone is longer, the body tube is longer. The fins have held up well so far - 4 flights, 3 of which resulted in hard landings on asphalt or hard ground.

Attachments

• DSCN4474.JPG
    DSCN4474.JPG
    835 KB · Views: 0
I did an "Protostar II" in name, but really the fins are plywood with tabs (including fin tip tabs that go into the pods for strength), the nosecone is longer, the body tube is longer. The fins have held up well so far - 4 flights, 3 of which resulted in hard landings on asphalt or hard ground.
Normally I’m not big on solid colors, but that came out nice!

I made one a few years ago and it's one of my favorites. Always flies well. I have a gray/purple color shift paint that looks great. I did have a pod pop off once in flight. Shock cord or nose cone may have hit it. Also had a fin break off on landing. Repaired it both times and flew again. It's showing some age though. I think using good strong fillets is definitely key with this one.

And it flies nice with a camera attached!

I think it looks great without the pods, especially with your paint scheme. I built mine using the mini-honest john nosecones I got when WalMart had that kit on sale. It turned out great too. I used the Protostar pods on clones of rockets I loved from the 80's.

The original design just never grew on me, so I finally donated my unbuilt kit. Guess I couldn't get over the idea that those were just Alien Invader nose cones on the fins (Estes must have had a surplus). So any mod is a good mod!

I'd have to think it flew much better and higher without the silly Pods attached.

Back