Pro29 3g loads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My L1 used an H54. If that's enough thrust to get your rocket up to speed by the end of the rail/rod, it's a super-long burn (one of the very longest in 29mm) and it is really fun to watch. Very "October Skies" feeling. And it won't shake your rocket to pieces.
I flew that same rocket on an H295 Smoky Sam at Dairy Aire last weekend and it left me with some repairs to do. One of my fins evidently wasn't comfortable with going from 0 to 425 MPH in 0.8 seconds (per the AltimeterTwo). The H54 took it almost as high during my cert flight, but it burned for 4.8 seconds!
Don't overlook this motor!
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Gotta be careful of the H54, remember that you need that 5:1 thrust, so any more then a 2 pound rocket would push that. Gotta wonder about the adhesive you're using if a H295 caused any damage - were you using epoxy, prepped the surface correctly and made good fillets? An I800 VMAX didn't hurt my LOC norad pro maxx at all! (don't blink or you definitely would miss it!)

My L1 used an H54. If that's enough thrust to get your rocket up to speed by the end of the rail/rod, it's a super-long burn (one of the very longest in 29mm) and it is really fun to watch. Very "October Skies" feeling. And it won't shake your rocket to pieces.
I flew that same rocket on an H295 Smoky Sam at Dairy Aire last weekend and it left me with some repairs to do. One of my fins evidently wasn't comfortable with going from 0 to 425 MPH in 0.8 seconds (per the AltimeterTwo). The H54 took it almost as high during my cert flight, but it burned for 4.8 seconds!
Don't overlook this motor!
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Just curious, how well did your case clean up after the flight of the H54? Was there any blisters/swelling of the case? Also like to know from others who flown them. I like the long burn, but I'm hesitant to buying another one since I didn't have luck with my first one.

Just curious, how well did your case clean up after the flight of the H54? Was there any blisters/swelling of the case? Also like to know from others who flown them. I like the long burn, but I'm hesitant to buying another one since I didn't have luck with my first one.

Hmm. Funny you should ask: the H54 actually was a bit of a mess, the only significant burn-through-clean-up I've had so far in my 29mm case. Most of the time, I don't even take the case out of the rocket, I just unscrew the aft closure, pop out the old, pop in the new, and *voila*.

However, I also have flown the long-burn redline, and it came out perfectly clean, as have all the faster burns. So maybe it's not every time, or not every long burn...

Back