Prettiest G12 translucent finish?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanT

Reaction score
So, with my 5" Jart design complete, but nothing assembled, I went and bought a set of LEDs from dlb and they'll fit perfectly in the NC.

Thing is, I was going to have a neon yellow with purple-logo theme and the lighting kind of throws a wrench in that. Is there any way to make the greenish G12 more vibrant or nicer looking for day flights? I'm thinking about spraying the inside of the motor area with high-temp black so that you can't "see" any of the rings if the bird is back or side lit. Is there any glossy color you can add to shift it from puke green to something more vibrant without blocking the interior lighting?

You could look into the Testor's line of translucent colours for models. They are designed to be sprayed over metallics but you could experiment with coating thickness to your liking without the underlay. .

You could look into the Testor's line of translucent colours for models. They are designed to be sprayed over metallics but you could experiment with coating thickness to your liking without the underlay. .

That sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking maybe doing a regular paint job and incorporating some graphics that leave bare tubing so it's barely noticeable in the day but then at night it glows. It would take a lot of masking and patience but I bet it would turn out pretty cool.

they used to have 'kits' for home made 'suncatchers' that consisted of a transparent piece of plastic, and translucent paint (water base I think), not sure if they are still availible...craft stores would be a place to start looking. then there are the 'candy' type paints. dupli - color has a line of 'metalcast' paints
rex

Good ideas. I'm not going to be using about 1/3 of the motor mount so I can use that as a sample. I may go troll the paint aisle at my LHS on my way back from a meeting this morning.

they used to have 'kits' for home made 'suncatchers' that consisted of a transparent piece of plastic, and translucent paint (water base I think), not sure if they are still availible...craft stores would be a place to start looking. then there are the 'candy' type paints. dupli - color has a line of 'metalcast' paints
rex
Oh d'oh! I have a can right on my workbench staring me in the face-good call!

Back