Precision cuts on Fiberglass Tubing - How to?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastvolt

Reaction score
Basically, i'm looking to cut out an access panel in my 6" fiberglass tubing (this is filament wound commercial tubing) for my arming switches. It wouldn't be too bad, but i'm using the inside cut-out piece as the "door" for the panel, so the cut needs to be fairly accurate and clean.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of a carbide tip reciprocating saw blade (from mcmaster) used manually with the appropriate handsaw.

Thanks
Dan

I'd use a 1" or 1-1/2" 80-100 tooth Dremel flex steel blade saw. I found one blade thats .010" thick and leaves a super clean .015" kerf. These blades are blue in the package. Mount on a standard 1/8" mandrel. Sorry I didn't keep the package so I don't know the model number:(
This blade goes thru fibreglass, PVC and CF like butter. Not to difficult to hand control following an outline either.
Hope this helps.

Do you have a link showing this type of blade?

Is it a rotary cutter for the standard dremel tool??

Sorry Dan:
I picked this Dremel accessory blade up at Pearl Discount Art supply more then a year ago. they were Dremel tool accessories, Wish I had the darn cat. number. it's a dynimite precision saw blade.
I'll try to take a pic of it this evening and post a little later.

I think this is what Mico is referring to, I looked all over it and can't find a model # on it. I do remember purchasing it at Lowe's and I know Sears sells them as well. I did hear they are out of production now so you might want to hurry on over and see if they have any still. It has cut everything I put in front of it without problems.
No it wasn't plugged in when I snapped the photo.

rocket 148.jpg

rocket 149.jpg

Nope that's not the exposed saw blade I'm talking about, I have that new dremel add-on 3" saw assembly, it's very nice with finger guard and fence but it isn't it.
The .010" blue steel flexable blade I'm talking about is just that a bare blade used on the standard 1/8" screw pin shaft.
Heres a photo of the little 7/8" dia saw (bit) Sorry the pic doesn't show how BLUE the steel is.

Dremel .010in  80T blue steel saw flex blade-sm_09-07.jpg

Back