Pre-review of Fat Cats I.P.F.I. Strikeship "Lightning"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
I've purchased the Fat Cats I.P.F.I. Strikeship "Lightning? soon after it was released and was named with a
Rocket Name and Story Contest on EMRR. I?ve had it sitting around for about 1 year and got in the mood to build it (especially after building the Fat Cats Galactic Marauder). You can not ?slap? this rocket together. It must be built and that is a process! There is a lot to this rocket.

Below are the built, pre-finish, pictures.

The rocket $44 and with that, it is probably a bargain. You get quality parts, pre-cut parts, and decals. The recovery system is rear-ejection and includes a 24? rip-stop nylon parachute, elastic, and steel cable to attach to the plywood centering rings.

Instructions are detailed and easy to follow with color illustrations. The fin alignment guide is critical because only the main wings are attached to the body tube. The other (4) fins are attached to the wings.

I used my epoxy/printer paper method for covering the pre-cut balsa fins/wings.

There is a lot of detail to this rocket, so I plan on having to spend quite a bit of time finishing it. I actually, shhhhhh!, have a modification planned since the motor mount is essentially a stand-alone unit. It involves Rowes Cone Retainers and two 24mm mounts.

If you want to add some excitement to your hobby without going into a scratch mode, and want a ?project? rocket then think about the Strikeship. These are a Fat Cats? Specialty Rocket meaning they are made-to-order so there is a 4-6 week leadtime.

When finished and flown, you will see a full review on EMRR.

fat_cats_strikeship01.jpg

fat_cats_strikeship02.jpg

fat_cats_strikeship03.jpg

fat_cats_strikeship04.jpg

That is a great looking kit! Is Fat Cat Rockets still in business? I thought I heard something about them having to fold due to some personal issues. I certainly hope they're still around.

I really like Fat Cats rockets .... something different !

thanks for the previews Nick

Finally finished painting it. 7 coats of primer, bondo glazing, and paint. I still need to clear coat, but I wait 3-4 days before doing that to avoid crackles! (Note: That's a 29mm Rowes Retainer on the back)

fat_cats_strikeship05.jpg

fat_cats_strikeship06.jpg

fat_cats_strikeship07.jpg

Very nice indeed. Seeing that particular color reminded me that I still have a Lambda Shuttle kit in my basement calling my name as well...

Man, each rocket I've seen today seems to be better than the last one ;) Wait, no maybe the Marauder is better looking. But this one looks so clean and the retainer is great on there. Geesh I can't decide. They both are fantastic!!!

Back