Placing glue inside a body tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the blunt end of a bamboo skewer. I put a blob of glue on a card, measure on the stick how deep the glue should go into the tube, place my thumb there and apply the glue at that depth. Once you’ve used the stick a few times, the glue residue builds into a blob that makes putting the glue exactly where it should be even easier.
A bamboo skewer is your best friend for doing glue or epoxy work inside your body tube. I just used one today to apply epoxy through an aft-end hatch to the inside of a nose cone. They’re cheap, disposable, long, thin and strong. You can tape a Q-tip to the end, or any other similar tool, if you do desire. Exactly what you need! 👍🏻

Dropping the glue in drips and hoping it lands where it's desired seems too crude to me.
I don't have a problem doing this. Usually I'm doing it to glue the front centering ring to the body tube. If I'm not in a hurry and I want to do a good job I will strap the tube to a box or something to hold it in place. I put a level on the side of the tube so it is straight up and down in one direction and tilted about 1/2" the other direction. Then I know that when I put the tip of the glue tube 1/2" from the edge of the tube the glue will fall exactly where I want so that part isn't a problem. Now comes the messier part- I drip in enough glue to cover 1/4 or 1/3 of the circumference of the tube, hold the tube at a 45 degree angle and rotate it slowly as the glue runs along the joint. Once it is distributed reasonably well I prop the tube at an angle and let it dry. Then I do that 2 or 3 more times.

I use chopsticks from the Chinese restaurant as they have a flattened end up on top which is great for the glue to rest on.

Latest posts

Back