Personal Launch Report - 2023-11-24 - Some Good Some Less Than Nominal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful blue skies. Very light winds. Temps in the 60’s (mid-teens)…

First launch was a 2.2 inch Nike-Smoke. Madcow version I believe. All FG. The motor was a Pro38 1 Grain G185 cut to 9 seconds. The up was great. The down a bit of a nail biter. Should been more like a 7. But all is well. Alt One said 1487’. I was super happy to catch these. This is a BANG GONE motor.

Then the scratch built and somewhat lengthened after a slight mishap, Red Top missile. No longer close to scale, but still a good looker. Launch was fine if low on an E23-8 cut to a five. Again cut to a 4 might have been better for a good flight that topped out at 300’

Next up was the OD Big 70 Ver 3. It SHOULD have been FINE on an AT 24/60 F35 load. Cept I don’t think old Jeff got the copperhead all the way up the slot. Lighting mid slot the burn went way long, way under powered and not very high. Impact was a glancing sideway affair. And it’s scraped up a bit but fully serviceable.

Next was the disaster of the day. The Quickdraw. 2xE9-6. One CATO literally blow the removable motor mount out the back… so it was removable, just not exactly like Apogee intended. The host mount is toast (literally). The body tube is a tad bubbled. But I think I can get away with just gluing in the supplied single 29mm motor assembly and call it ‘non-removable’ from now on :)

So I have a Flis Corona 2 stage. Thing is I had a fail to stage event a long time ago. And when I ‘fixed’ it, I accidentally glued the ring tail booster to the sustainer. Of course there was no reason I couldn’t fly it single stage. But I decided to franken it. I put a high thrust B in a Farside-X 2nd stage, and another high thrust B in the sustainer. Gap staged. Well the booster B did exactly what it should do and teleported everything into the sustainer, and then either I got a CATO, a TINY delay, or the nose cone came loose. All the nozzles were intact. And the sustainer did not show signs of severe heat. Of course with Bs like that, everything happens in milliseconds… or so it seems.

Finally I flew my most flown rocket. A The Launch Pad Osiris MPM. Flew perfect on a E11-3. Bit of a chute tangle. And it broke a big fin. I think it’s repairable… but there are a lot of kits in the build pile.

So that’s it. Not my finest day… but as days go since losing my wife, which of course still dominates my mind and days, a damn fine one.

All the pictures are here https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB4yxV

A few of them are my good friend who came out and made sure I was safe while mostly playing LCO. Like I have said a few times now, Launching is fun and rewarding. Even for this 64 year old old man. But coming home? Geezus that sucks.

Jeff --

I don't recognize your launch site ... but it looks like a SoCal Driving Range ...

Where is it ?

Thanks for all the great pics !

-- kjh

Next up was the OD Big 70 Ver 3. It SHOULD have been FINE on an AT 24/60 F35 load. Cept I don’t think old Jeff got the copperhead all the way up the slot. Lighting mid slot the burn went way long, way under powered and not very high. Impact was a glancing sideway affair. And it’s scraped up a bit but fully serviceable.

Kudos for using the Copperhead!

Your pictures are quite impressive! You did a great job stopping the action. What were you using for equipment?

Jeff's rockets are finished very well, and his photos are always just as good. Getting two shots of the G185 coming off the rail was awesome, but getting the removable motor mount exiting the airframe was awesome-er!

1701016758864.png

Nice report. Your pictures are quite impressive! You did a great job stopping the action. What were you using for equipment?
TY. Canon 7D. EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM - Shutter Priority. 1/2500th or faster. ISO 500. Continuous 9fps. Press the button at '2' in the count. Import into Lightroom Classic. Throw away all the duplicates. Crop mercilessly. Remember there are 18 million pixels. Get rid of the pixels that no one really cares about.

That looks like a fun little rocket. Fantastic staging photo.
Slightly better?

Great flight report and beautiful pics, Jeff.
No more E9s in expensive rockets, please.
I cringe at the photos of the CATO.
;)
Yeah... I should have remembered what it cost... Been thinking maybe I need to sell something and get another? Or replace the Flamethrower?

Back