Pemberton Technologies King Kraken Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
First before I say anything else is I want to thank my Secret Santa, Pemtech, so much for gifting this rocket to me! This will be an exciting build and I can't to fly my newly received box of Pro38-1G motors! Especially the G69 Skidmarks! :D

Ok so the first step is to throw away the instructions right?

NO!

Don't!!! The instructio....I mean Detructions are creatively written and a hoot to read. One of the recommended supplies is "two shots of Jose Cuervo"

I'm sorry Mr. Llama my mommy wouldn't let me have any.:gavel: And I don't even know what "little round thingy about that long and that big around with little bits hanging off the ends" are?!? Help if you can!

I apologize in advance for maybe less pictures, I will try my best. And if anyone knows the best way of posting pictures from my phone please let me know via Pm.

KingKraken_DSC_4953sized700x466.jpg

From Pembertontechnologies.com
A Mid and High Power Creature from Ancient Sea Lore
The Pem-Tech King Krãken (pronounced krã'-kin), named for the dark, sinister creature of ancient sea lore, is a one of a kind sport flier featuring our unique, sculpted tube-fin design. She is as much a fantastic flying machine as she is a work of art, created by you. Unlike traditional, and boring, tube fins the King Kraken sports a long leading edge tube fin with a short full tube that has been reported to be 30% more stable than square cut tube fins. Large, long and lean with sexy flowing lines, the King Krãken will be sure to turn heads at your next launch.
Kit comes complete with 3" plastic nose cone, 3" heavy duty body and fin tubes, Heavy Duty 38mm motor mount capable of handling F-I impulse motors, massive plywood centering rings, monstrous 10' shock cord of 9/16" tubular nylon, 1/4" launch lugs, optional 28" chute, sleek 1/8” laser cut ply nose canards (for that sinister Squidlyness), and our infamous Destruction Manual.

Dia: 3"
Length: 41"
Fin span: 9.3"
Motor mount: 38mm
Wt: 36 oz.

If you have questions please feel free to ask below, if you have any concerns with me those can go to my attorney, and if you have any compliments please send those directly to my BIG head (they're wanted there)!

Enjoy your holidays

*Also I really Really Really like feedback about what I'm doing so if you want send me Pms let me have it!

Thats great you must have been real good this year!!!! the Kraken is one of my favorite rockets!!!! Good luck on the build and I'm looking forward to seeing another King Kraken at the launches.

Andy

kraken.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

And I don't even know what "little round thingy about that long and that big around with little bits hanging off the ends" are?!? Help if you can!

It is also usually green in color and kind of looks fuzzy...Some say it is the best part and what makes to-kill-ya so good..Another rumor has it that it makes a 'man' out of you and promotes hair growth on the chest.:cyclops:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of this build...Maybe send your pictures from your phone to facebook and then copy them from there?

PS: It is called a worm....

Looking forward to it, but first post was a teaser... When are you starting with the build pics?

Send your pictures from your phone to an email. Save the file, and upload via attachment manager. I do it all the time.

Can't wait to see how you build this thing. I really want one.

Braden

Detructions are creatively written and a hoot to read. One of the recommended supplies is "two shots of Jose Cuervo"

I'm sorry Mr. Llama my mommy wouldn't let me have any.:gavel: And I don't even know what "little round thingy about that long and that big around with little bits hanging off the ends" are?!? Help if you can!

You are quite welcome....
As for the Cuervo, just bash yourself in the head with a bit of lime wrapped around a large rock, it has the same effect.

The little round thingy is a nonsensical phrase I picked up from my days at the Parts Desk. It never failed, some little old man would come in and ask for "little round thingy about that long and that big around with little bits hanging off the ends" or some such thing. You would tell the nice gentleman that no, we don't carry that. to which he would reply, "but all I need is little round thingy about that long and that big around with little bits hanging off the ends" .
Sorry sir, we don't carry that...

Repeat ad nauseum....

I love my King Kraken! It flies low enough on large Gs and small Hs to work in a smallish field, but Is can make it go.

One of my favorite motors for it is the H73 Blackjack, which is like a squid spraying ink. If you spend the time and put an electronics bay in the nose cone, it loves the I59 motor as well. Mine got to somewhere around 3500' on one.

Picture 013 S.jpg

Picture 203.jpg

Last edited:
I love my King Kraken! It flies low enough on large Gs and small Hs to work in a smallish field, but Is can make it go.

One of my favorite motors for it is the H73 Blackjack, which is like a squid spraying ink. If you spend the time and put an electronics bay in the nose cone, it loves the I59 motor as well. Mine got to somewhere around 3500' on one.

So you tethered the main on the I59 flight? Is there a tracker in the nose also? Although 3500' isn't all that high.

Send your pictures from your phone to an email. Save the file, and upload via attachment manager. I do it all the time.

Braden

its a bummer that my phone can't open the attachment manager...i don't know why but I'm not surprised. If it did I would show you that I'm done cutting the tubes and that whole process....

So you tethered the main on the I59 flight? Is there a tracker in the nose also? Although 3500' isn't all that high.

Nope, main at apogee. There is a beeline tracker in the nose so it isn't too bad to find. It also helped that there wasn't much wind during that flight.

its a bummer that my phone can't open the attachment manager...i don't know why but I'm not surprised. If it did I would show you that I'm done cutting the tubes and that whole process....

Does your phone have a memory card? To get pictures off of mine I take the card out and use the adaptor to plug it into the computer.

Thats great you must have been real good this year!!!! the Kraken is one of my favorite rockets!!!! Good luck on the build and I'm looking forward to seeing another King Kraken at the launches.

Andy

I will be out at the march launch with a full plate to fly and this project only makes it longer....TARC rocket....first "K" motor....this king kraken....my level one kit with a camera and a I269?skid in it (or whatever the 38mm 5G cesaroni skid is....TARC rocket again....

you wouldn't happen to be going Andy?

Anyway I asked my dad if I can borrow his computer for a half hour...and now after doing the dishes for him I’m here with more pictures.

So I finally got this process straightened out,
Take picture with my phone
Then "share" it via my google account (picasa)
Access the picasa site on my computer then post the link
...pray

2010-12-27%2009.25.48.jpg

Here is a picture of everything that comes with the kit

As you can see it is very through

It comes with a nice 28" parachute all the shock cord you will ever need.

It even comes with a bag of small dark heavy things, I guess to throw at my sister and feed to my dog? :D (Dog -----> :puke: )

I forgot after I took that picture that the motor mount and centering rings were inside one of the airframe tubes. So I had to show you what they look like...and to me it looks like money I could be saving with Gieco:eyeroll:

2010-12-27%2015.12.32.jpg

Edit: A set of decals came with the kit (they say "King Kraken (in case you've forgotten by now(or can't read(well then spelling it there didn't help (Wow thats a lot of inner parenthesis (I bet thats illegal (ok really on with the thread)))))))

2010-12-30%2013.48.24.jpg

Ok we all have to agree that the coolest part of this kit is the tube-ish fins.

They are also in my opinion the hardest part 20% of the work is being able to decode the destructions and to mark the lines. I guess I'm kinda on the stupid side and after reading the steps 8 times through, upside down, backwards, after calling my therapist for a check-up, and discussing with my guidance counselor whether to continue this build or not. I finally got the lines drawn on the tubes....correctly. (BTW I used the kind of measuring tape they use for tailors and stuff, worked great!)

2010-12-27%2010.16.11.jpg

After that madding event I was ready to cut the tubes into a Million pieces!!! Luckily with two sessions with my personal psychologist I got thing straightened out and my life back on track.

There are A LOT of tricks to these fins, most of which are completely obvious after you screw something up.

Things to keep in mind while cutting psychotic paper tubes!:

1. ALWAYS use a sharp exacto knife. (you don’t want rust on your fins)
-36. When drawing the lines make them DARK (So you can see them with your eyes closed)
2. Open your eyes so you can see what your doing (Ya it really does help)
3. Stay above your work (helps with #2)
4. Don’t believe what your kindergarten teacher told you about “staying inside the lines” you better stay ON those lines
5. 15 shallow cuts are better than one deep cut.
6. The only exception to rule #5 is crazy Jim who is allowed to use a chainsaw when cutting paper tubes!

That’s it that’s all you need to know!

So here’s my final product

2010-12-27%2015.11.32.jpg

I need to sand the ends but they came out relatively ok.

What’s the best way to sand paper tubes without making them all fuzzy?

Thanks guys for the support!

Again (I’m sorry if this is getting annoying) I want to thank my SS for this gift.

BTW I think this is the greatest build thread post of my life so far on this forum.
Hopefully one of these days I could make a 5-star thread like Rocdoc or Blackjack I just don’t have lots of power tools… in fact I don’t have and machining tools, my school has some so sometimes I use their stuff. Anyway signing out for the night. :caffeine:

-Bryce

Last edited:
Yep - I'm building a (regular sized) Kraken right now, and the tube fins are definitely the hardest part. Mine aren't quite as even as yours, but they should be functional.

The King Kraken is a great kit. Here is a pic of mine flying on an H123W.

Looks like there was a change made to the kit with there being more tubes and a tube coupler included. My kit only included two tubes, one being a 30 inch for the main tube and a 34 inch one to be cut up for the tube fins.

The tube fins definitely make for a challenging build but the end result is well worth it and the build goes fast once the tubes are cut.

Good luck with your build and maiden flight.:)

King Kraken.jpg

Ya the kit stopped coming with the long tubes and instead comes with three 17" tubes and one 13" tube and a coupler (13+17 adds to the main airframe) and the 2x17 is the 34"
I think it also cuts down on shipping too.

BTW I thought I would run this across you guys first to see what you think.

Before I glue the coupler to the tube I thought I might glue th coupler to upper (13") tube and add a bulkhead and eyebolt to the bottom of the coupler and make an AV-Bay.
What do you think?

Stability: Well since all the additions are in front of the CP all it can do is help right?

I'm not going for altitude but I always want to know how high things go!

Thanks Donald for your post. Being the King of Sparkies around here, have any pictures of those flights or comments.

Thanks Donald for your post. Being the King of Sparkies around here, have any pictures of those flights or comments.

I haven't flown my KK on a sparky yet but definitely plan to. Mostly because I flew with a club that bans sparkies because of tall grass. I would go with the Pro38 1 grain G69 or Pro38 2 grain H123 Skid. I would also consider the new AT H170M Metalstorm motor as well.:wink:

I bet the Loki G69 and H100 Spitfire loads would be awesome too.

So far my KK has flown twice. Maiden flight was with a G67R and the second was with the H123W.

I haven't flown my KK on a sparky yet but definitely plan to. Mostly because I flew with a club that bans sparkies because of tall grass. I would go with the Pro38 1 grain G69 or Pro38 2 grain H123 Skid. I would also consider the new AT H170M Metalstorm motor as well.:wink:

I bet the Loki G69 and H100 Spitfire loads would be awesome too.

So far my KK has flown twice. Maiden flight was with a G67R and the second was with the H123W.

A J340 metalstorm would probably fit too :D

(Good motor. Huge flame.)

[YOUTUBE]LXVi-lEbJBo[/YOUTUBE]

(Tracking would probably be a good idea)

Maybe so. You have to admit that it'd be a fun flight though :D

NSL? same time, same place as LDRS! I'm lucky! (I'm only allowed to go to national events if thier in my state, and the last two big events have been in my club! I love you ROC!)

NSL? same time, same place as LDRS! I'm lucky! (I'm only allowed to go to national events if thier in my state, and the last two big events have been in my club! I love you ROC!)

WOOT!!!

NSL i think might be right before finals week, but i don't mind B's :D

I might be getting my L1 at that launch, w/a custom built launch tower :D

we gotta meet up at the march launch. i'll look out for you kraken :)

second thought, might get L1 before. just gotta get the $$$. great looking build so far btw :)

cjl YOU GOTTA COME TO NSL!!! YOU'RE ONLY LIKE 20 HOURS AWAY BY CAR :D

cjl YOU GOTTA COME TO NSL!!! YOU'RE ONLY LIKE 20 HOURS AWAY BY CAR :D

I know. I came to LDRS last year :D

(Honestly, I might. It's hard to say. The waiver's not great, but there's a ton of space, and I might be free around that time. I probably wouldn't launch anything bigger than maybe an L or so though - I'd want to conserve my launch budget for LDRS)

Back