Parachute upgrade

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MENACE

Reaction score
Wondering where I can get a better 8" to 12" chute for my estes ricochet and what's out there as far as different chute manufacturers.
Lookin at 60$ plus shipping for a 12" chute from fruity which a little much but I'm sure the quality is there.

Last edited:
Simple- Top Flight Recovery. Their standard or thin mill chutes are all you need, and for that size are a few bucks. The owner is Gary Pletzer, known on TRF as Crossfire. Shoot him a message- I know he can hook you up.

Top Flite thin chutes is all you'll need. Quality is top notch. A Fruity is WAY overkill for almost anything LP.

One concept of note, when comparing flat chutes to elliptical, you can usually go one size SMALLER on the elliptical to get approximately the same descent rate.

Thanx guys....exactly what I'm looking for ...too bad the thin mill only comes in orange...the price is right though

Caveat : I don't have a ton of comparisons to a lot of different chutes.

I was pretty impressed with the quality of the chute that came with my Aerotech Mustang. They are available for purchase directly from Aerotech, your local reseller may have a better deal.

I can tell you CATO chutes are probably 20 times stronger then topflight. Couldn't rip one of Karen's chutes out of a tree with 2 men and a 3:1 Z haul system. Damn branch wouldn't break either.....

I can tell you CATO chutes are probably 20 times stronger then topflight. Couldn't rip one of Karen's chutes out of a tree with 2 men and a 3:1 Z haul system. Damn branch wouldn't break either.....

I have 48 years of experience with High Angle rescues and Z haul systems and if you couldn't rip apart a CATO chute that is impressive. Just wondering, do have a photos or videos of you attempted CATO chute recovery? It would make good advertising for CATO.

20 times stronger now that's a statement. Prove that one. I would like to see the facts. I am sure CATO has a great chute but you need to comparer apples to apples we all make our chutes different.

Top Flight and I have ripped my sons out of tree top , it was in the tree for 2 weeks , I tore the branches down , chute was fine

darkstar in tree.jpg

Back