Paint removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I'm looking to repaint a rocket I bought at our last launch. It's a PML Intruder with Quantum tubing. It has G10 fins also. Will paint removers damage the tubing or the fins?

I've used a goopy methylene chloride based paint remover with success but the entire rocket was fiberglass. One thing to note, this stuff also is great for removing epoxy so don't let it set on fillets or the like for longer than it takes to strip some paint.
Hey, this iPad can take a picture of the stuff!
image.jpg
Ken

I gave it a try with a scrap piece of QT and some "Zinsser", paint and varnish remover. It softned the QT quite a bit. I carefully wiped it off and let it sit for a bit, and after the solvents all evaporated out it seemed to harden up again. I think you will have to be very careful if you try it, and dont let it sit on the surface too long.

Mike

At least with plastic nosecones, i've removed paint without damage to the cone with brake fluid. Its slow, but works. Someone on one of the forums suggested it a long time ago, and I found it works well. Dunno about QT, but mihg tnot be too different than the PE nosecomes.

All things considered with the mess and all--and then you need to sand it down anyway---why not just wet sand it down a bit and use the old paint as your base primer---spritz another coat of primer sealer over that and go to town!

Thanks guys. After reading this I think ill hit it with the sander and coat it with some rustoleum primer. My main concern is with the fillets. The guy who built it was a minimalist from what I understand. Gonna beef them up a bit then paint it with neon colors!

I'm going to assume the nosecone will be ok with the paint remover...right?

I just got done refinishing two built rockets that I recently purchased and I just scuffed the entire rocket and then just primed it. They look like they were always the colors they are now. I would stay away from the nose cone with any chemicals.

I would just sand and sand and sand some more, over chems on rocket, put a sanding drum in your Dremel to remove fillets or epoxy. Oh, and ware a dust mask!

Good Luck

You guys should try doing cars. re sanding a tiny rocket by hand is a no brainer and doesn't even register as labor to me.

had a fiberglass rocket that needed refinishing- I was surprised how easy it was to use a scraper on it and some rough sandpaper. less than one hour total on a three nick rocket!

Back