Overprotective Parents?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... this is like a half rant half question kinda thing... but just hear me out.

My parents are overprotective. Like way overprotective. My mom more than my dad, but still, overprotective. As in my sister and I weren't allowed to be home alone until we were like 13 or so.

Anyway, recently, I got a girlfriend (we have gone out once now and going out again tonight). She and I are almost exactly alike. We both love Frozen. We both quote and sing Broadway all day. We are both socially awkward. We are both considered gay by a lot of our friends (even though we aren't). She and I were like meant to be. And I absolutely adore her. :)

My dad has no problem with me dating this girl. He doesn't mind the fact that we skype late at night, or the fact that I kissed her. My mom, on the other hand, was almost shocked when I called her my "girlfriend". She thinks I am acting like I am getting married to her. And I haven't even told her that I kissed her yet. 0_o

She recently invited me to her school's homecoming dance. My mom was ecstatic about me going. So she doesn't mind the fact that I like this girl. She is just fearful of the fact that I love her. She still thinks I am like 5 years old.

I already don't have a lot of friends. I am happy that I have someone I can talk to who I have actually met in real life. (Sorry Connor... but a 13 hour drive to meet you just isn't happening. :p) Even better is the fact that now my friends can see that I am not gay.

So.... the question part. What is your opinion on teens (16 y/o old or so) dating?

Black,
It is absolutely normal for us parents to be protective of our children. My wife and I gave three great kids. Two daughters, 23 and 18, and our son who is 19. All we parents ever hope is that our kids become good citizens and good people. To answer your question, I have no problem with a 16 year old dating as long as he/she follows our rules, such as curfew, no drinking or drugs, driving responsibly, and treating their date with respect. Ultimate rule I always asked was, is what you do going to please your mom or me if we see you on tv? The old Jack Anderson rule (you may need to look that up).

As always, respect your mom and dad. They love you which is why they protect you.

Mike

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Regarding the appropriateness of this thread on a rocket forum:

This IS a rocketry forum, yes, but Matt is right. This is specifically in the Watering Hole for a reason. There really is no other place to put it, and putting something such as this out for the internet to see does take some guts. For that, I give him props.

We were almost all 16 at one point (some aren't quite there yet), and these are common questions. Overprotection is something a good portion of the population deals with. On here, Matt is part of a welcoming group that generally shares the same interests, and for the most part, the same gender. IMHO, there arent a whole lot of better places to ask for advice or opinions like these than that type of environment.

Regarding appropriateness, I view this topic as way more appropriate than a lot of the stuff that gets discussed here. Matt is a member of the forum and he's a member of our community, he's also part of the group that's the future of our hobby. He's comfortable with a number of the folks here, and he knows that most are responsible adults who are willing to invest time and energy into helping kids that aren't our own.

So, he reached out and asked for some guidance.

I'll gladly read 10,000 posts like Matt made over one more bloody post about Global Warming.

Matt? Any time you want to talk about your parents, ask questions about parental perspectives, even if it's just to grouse about some rule they tossed at you -- you know how to find me.

-Kevin

Matt,

See! That's who we are. Read these posts and know that you are community, colleague and friend. But be humble, be of good humor, stick to lifelong goals and sidestep bitterness. Your true lady will know that you aspire to the higher things. Read 1 Corinthians 13. It's all there.

Feckless

Regarding appropriateness, I view this topic as way more appropriate than a lot of the stuff that gets discussed here. Matt is a member of the forum and he's a member of our community, he's also part of the group that's the future of our hobby. He's comfortable with a number of the folks here, and he knows that most are responsible adults who are willing to invest time and energy into helping kids that aren't our own.

So, he reached out and asked for some guidance.

I'll gladly read 10,000 posts like Matt made over one more bloody post about Global Warming.

Matt? Any time you want to talk about your parents, ask questions about parental perspectives, even if it's just to grouse about some rule they tossed at you -- you know how to find me.

-Kevin
Wow. thank you. This made me feel much better.

I have noticed that MOST of the adults here (and all of the kids) are always willing to extend a hand to help me. And I salute you for that.

Wow. thank you. This made me feel much better.

I have noticed that MOST of the adults here (and all of the kids) are always willing to extend a hand to help me. And I salute you for that.

And Matt, if you ever feel that you absolutely must discuss global warming, feel free to PM me. :wink:

Latest posts

Back