Outlander Scratch Build - Links to 3D Printable Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russell_t

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Below are links to .STL files of various 3D-printable parts for a scratch build / rendition of an Outlander model rocket. Links are included for the nose cone, body cone, tail cone, and landing leg pads which I found on Thingiverse and printed for my Outlander. My build will be complete after some final touch-up work and application of decals.

I attempted to stay at 1:1 scale as much as possible on the parts I fabricated; however, some parts are not to exact scale. The landing leg side struts, for example, will likely need some re-scaling for a size to one's preference. (I chose to 3D-print the struts rather than fabricate them from card stock or other material.) The tail cone had already been modified from 18mm to 24mm and I chose to split the upper section of the tail cone from the lower section (nozzle) then print each separately, for ease of construction and for additional color options. The throat of the nozzle on my build required some sanding for attachment to the Estes BT-50 body tube I used for fabricating the 24mm engine mount. I also chose to shift the positions of the four top tanks, so on my build they aren't positioned as shown in the instructions.

Other parts, external tanks, upper and lower body tubes, balsa landing legs, etc. were fabricated using instructions available here from Estes. I had to re-scale the Wood Dowel Cutting Guide page to the correct size for printing, and I used the required 9-inch dowel length on that page for reference. My fabricated 24mm engine mount reduced the amount of real estate between the landing leg dowels and the interior wall of the BT-60 body tubes, but the reduced space was still sufficient.

Being new to TinkerCAD made for an interesting experience, and that's my attempt at a disclaimer. I chose to omit options such as raft, infill, etc. and leave that to the user's discretion. Filament type, color, etc., are all options open to the user. Printing on glass made for smooth outer surfaces on the various parts.

Outlander nose cone, body cone, tail cone, etc., 2 links:

Estes Outlander 2110 Model rocket
Estes Plastic parts for Outlander Rocket

Landing leg pads are available in the Vintage Mars Lander Model Rocket Reproduction, a well-designed 3D printable kit (pictured below with my nearly-completed Outlander build).

Estes Outlander Instructions (.PDF) are available here.

Various additional parts by yours truly are located here, warts and all. They certainly have room for improvement but hopefully they will be of benefit.

My Outlander build has been an enjoyable experience!

Outlander_and_Mars_Lander.png

Last edited:
Cool.

painting is going to be a challenge, if you shoot for the face card scheme!

what Does it weigh?

what Does it weigh?

Weight is 261 grams / 9.2 ounces empty.
It will be quite some time before I would attempt to fly it, if at all.
When I saw the body cone on Thingiverse, I decided to scratch build it and leave my Estes Outlander kit unopened. :)

@Long_Gone - you may have already seen the photo here posted after I had added some stickers, decals, and fiddly bits to my Outlander.
Currently working as time allows on a kitbash with resized Outlander landing gear; I'll upload a photo or two in the near future.
Hope you'll upload photos of your build!

Ok cool I printed the nosecone twice and the first was 1oz and the second is 2oz but had some internal structure. The first has some layer issues. I dont know what is the best orientation etc to print this cone. It is tough.

Ok here is the latest nosecone print. PLA+ flow rate @102 gave the best results at 80mm/s
Looks as flawless as I can get it. Not as light as I wanted but I have three days trying to print this nose cone to perfection. I am extremely happy with this print the body tube fits nice (I slightly enlarged the print for shrinkage). Next I will burn out the landing legs and the Fin/Leg support. I might modify the insane happiness with all the extra weight Estes engineered in to this rocket. I also want to give it a little stretch for stability, not sure how that will go.
L/G~

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_211529.jpg
    IMG_20211116_211529.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211116_211456.jpg
    IMG_20211116_211456.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211116_194259.jpg
    IMG_20211116_194259.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211116_211756.jpg
    IMG_20211116_211756.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Just got done cutting and printing more parts. I love my laser.

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_214244.jpg
    IMG_20211117_214244.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211117_214233.jpg
    IMG_20211117_214233.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211117_214228.jpg
    IMG_20211117_214228.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
The accuracy of the laser is awesome I could NEVER get the ends of the "tanks" a perfect fit like what is shown here. I would be cutting all night also. I knocked most of this out of the same sheet of material.

Latest posts

Back