OROC - RocketOber- CARNAGE - Got Squid?, Polly Kraken, Wallace and Gromit - all gone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
This last weekend was OROC's last HPR launch of the year, out on Oregons high desert near Brothers. There were some awesome flights, with 3 days of TRA research launches, along will commercial and low power. Ceiling was low most of the time, but, we braved it and things were tried.

There was also some serious carnage. At one point there were 5 birds out on the HPR racks. The first three desert darted, the forth was a L2 attempt which separated at apogee with the booster section coming down in a flat spin and the nosecone and chute drifting off to another zip. The last one went up and came down fine. 1 out of 5 and this doesn't even go into the dozen or so other failures over the weekend.

Sadly for me I had a bad time. My cluster Kraken was supposed to start a pair of I223 skids off the pad and airstart a pair of H143 smokies. I am now thinking that the skids werent the best of choices. One lit and took the Kraken straight up to around 400ft, then the second came up to pressure and the rocket took a 90 degree sharp left towards Albuquerque. It rolled, to that the lit motor was at the bottom, and lifted its nose a degree or two as it sped near horizontal. Then, just before the second skid burned out, the Raven lit the H143's which came on instantly.
Rocket still going completely the wrong way and just as the smokies finished their burn, the nose dropped and the Raven sensed "apogee", firing the drogue, which stripped its lines and caused the rocket to start to do a flat spin. Then it sensed that we were lower than the 700ft that the main was set for, so the main went off. The main looked like it went off at around 50ft, with the rocket going around 100mph or so and a lazy, though not slow, glide towards destruction. The top of the lower section unwrapped. I would have expected a long hard zipper from the drogue deployment, but it just unwrapped the Blue Tube. Seriously chunky construction may have saved this rocket.

I waited and then followed the GPS (which wasnt really needed, the rocket traveled 750 yards and the dust cloud of impact was still visible. I approached filled with dread. After a quick inspection, this is an EASY rebuild, one section of 4" Bluetube and one coupler! Baby will fly again!

Next loss for me was my King Kraken, Polly. This was her 8th flight, and probably her last. An I212 Smokey took her up to 2303 ft at which point she tail slid a little before the Stratologger did its job and fired drogue. The shock cord, which I had checked previously, failed just below the parachute quick link, causing the fin section to fall in its own, and the top section to drift down on the drogue. At 500ft the main came out and lowered the nose, etc, down safely. The bottom section didn't do so well and came spinning in at a high rate of knots. At about 150ft, it seemed to stabilize with the front end down a little and it power glided into a sage bush, bouncing around 20ft back into the air. The impact with the sage ripped off two fins.

Third loss was my new two stage project, Wallace and Gromit. I had just launched the sustainer (gromit) to check everything and had a perfect flight to 1001 ft on a G131 Smokey, with both drogue and main coming out almost together as I had set main at 1000ft. This drifted down and landed around 50ft directly in front of my RV. Excellent!
I reset everything, changed batteries, loaded it up, and sat it on the prepped booster stage (wallace). I took it out, got the OK, and set it up. All things flashed and beeped as they should and I walked nervously back to the LCO table. A crowd gathered as he announced that this was a 2 stage flight, but I was only lighting the booster, and that I was testing stage separation and was not lighting the sustainer this time. Lift off was perfect, with separation exactly on time at burnout, with an audible pop of the separation charge going off. The booster cruised slowly on to around 1000ft, whilst the sustainer sailed on to an estimated 1200ft. Both turned over around the same time, and both came in ballistic, impacting around 30ft from each other, just past the left of the launch site. Volunteers immediately went out with me to help find the wreckage and it was one of the launches where i believe everyone on the flight-line felt the loss.

Lessons were learned. The choice of ground start motors on Got Squid were probably wrong, next time I will go with White or Blue as they seem to come to pressure faster. I have no idea what could have happened to BOTH of the altimeters on board the two stage flight (both sections were dual deploy). All the beeps and lights showed OK on the pad. The only thought is that at motor burnout, something happened. On the video, I can hear the pop of the charge, which means at least the GWiz in the booster stage was working at that moment in time. The Raven in the upper stage MAY have been damaged in the Got Squid flight, but I then used it for two nominal flights (including Gromit test) before this failure.

Ho hum. At least it is now officially 'build season', or 'rebuild season'.

DSC00016.jpg

20131012_155954_resize.jpg

20131010_200129_resize.jpg

DSC00020_resize.jpg

DSC00021_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch!

You have my condolences too, but think of it as "clearing room in the stables" for newer, cooler, better rockets.

Not sure how you'll top the clustered Kraken, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, there was a lot of carnage this past weekend... My rocket was the first of those three to dart. I too expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised when I finally found it. It will be a quick rebuild. I was actually out hunting for my lawn dart when your cluster went horizontal, it was an "interesting" perspective. Glad to hear you will be rebuilding.

Braib

I dont have any photo's of the Kraken screwup, but I am sure that the usual suspects will be posting on the OROC website with loadsa pictures very soon.
I do though have a couple of videos', one is the successful testing of Gromit, the other is the unsuccessful testing of the two stage setup.

This hobby is all about learning, which we do through each build and each launch, whether it is a successful one or not. It is also nice that we have materials readily available that are the right ones for the job. Fiberglass, Blue Tube, Cardboard, all have their place, and all are part of the reason that some rockets survive the dart experience better than others. I learned on this Squid flight that I used the wrong motors, I already have two good flights under this, and can work with others to formulate better pairings. I have a pair of I236 Blue Streaks that would be a good option as pad starts for the next launch (after rebuild). I also learned that I could have done better with the settings on the Raven, I should have set it so that the rocket had to be over 1000ft before it allowed the airstarts, as well as the 'pressure increasing' and timer.
I still cannot think of what happened to the 2 stage. On the video you can definitely hear the pop of the separation charge, which means that the GWiz was alive at that point. I KNOW that both altimeters were showing the right settings, had the right continuity etc on the pad. So WHY did they both fail? Battery coming lose? Switch going bad? It could be any one of these, but, BOTH stages failed. I had the sustainer stage loaded with the previously burnt G131 motor, so simulate a real weight, and it had an ignitor in it wired to the Raven, 1.5 seconds after motor burnout, pressure increasing, all which should have passed, and yet it didnt light. This means that the Raven was already 'dead' when this event passed.

All theories and comments welcome.

First vid. Testing of the Sustainer, Gromit, on a G131SS
[video=youtube;ekmo5WzhgPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekmo5WzhgPs[/video]

Second. Wallace and Gromit as a two stage. Please have a look and see what you think. I believe that pop at burnout is the separation charge. If anyone (Chuck... Braib) who watched this can comment. I thought at the time that it was just drag separation, but in hindsight, the sustainer seemed to get a kick. I didnt catch this on video, you have to go off memory.
[video=youtube;JQHxBUe-5zQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHxBUe-5zQ[/video]

Back