Opinions wanted: Aerotech FirstFire Ignitors ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cls --

Yes, I used to use e-matches + thermalite for all motors over 29mm ...

I've checked at a local Cabellas and they have .44 and .50 cal Triple Seven Pellets.

Regardless of the available caliber, what do you do when the pellet does not fit in the core of the motor grain ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

You need to drill the top propellant grain to fit the pellet. Do it carefully on a drill press at no more than 500rpm. Use a drill bit that is the same size as the pellet, or just a hair smaller. Drill down a pocket the same length as the pellet. 44/45 cal. 30 grain ones are .405" diameter. 57 Cal. 60 grain ones are .495" diameter. The small ones are fine for G-J motors. (Take a look at a Cesaroni reload...) I bond them in with a little bit of nitro lacquer so that it is sealed into the grain and not burn around the outside. No need to use more than one... CTI once had an issue with the pellet being too much for some smaller reloads and they needed to be removed and cut in half...

I personally have Pyrodex, but Triple Seven is very similar. Both are Black Powder substitues for Muzzleloaders and Cap and Ball Revolvers.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/muzzleloader/

I've not had problems in motors K and below. However I did have to use a small wood dowel to hold the igniter in place on an M motor.
I, too, use a 1/8" wood dowel to hold FF starter in place via taping it to dowel. I use it for large K's, L's and M's. Works great! Otherwise, the AT FF's seem to work well.
I used a lot of Copperheads without issue. I always took flak from the club, but they worked for me. I used small pieces of the tubing that held other igniters in on the clips. One on one side and one on the other and made sure that the alligator clip didn't pierce the Copperhead. This was for motors up to G.

Back