OpenRocket user poll: Custom Figure Style?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ever set a custom (non-default) Figure style (i.e. anything other than "Use default color")?

• Yes (please explain below)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No reason to

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I had no idea you could do that

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today I was gobsmacked to learn that you could set a custom style for components in the rocket figure, e.g.:
1694441943426.png

Despite it being right up there front and center in the UI, I simply never took notice of it. Now that I know about it, (a) I can't think of much use for it, and (b) I don't recall ever seeing anyone else use it. Hence this poll. If you use this, why? I'm interested to learn if there's a valid use case for it.

Yes, to identify different components by usage such as payload, recovery, etc. That said I don't use it that frequently.

I have in the past but not for a few years. I was messing around with different airframe colors.

Actually, I've played with it when I have multiple layered components that are similar (think adapters for smaller motors), but for the most part I don't mess with it.

I could see using it to group similar components... yet another tool that makes OR awesome.

2023-09-11 Ring Fin Flight Sim - Side View.jpg

Last edited:
It can be used to change the color and the line style like I did when I added the eye bolt to the nose cone & solid lines instead of dashed

1694500899625.png

I've not found an eyebolt anywhere in the menu items to add. where is it?
There isn't one. But if you use a mass component, set the size and mass appropriately, and then set the Figure style to "solid", then you can get something that sort of looks eyebolt-y in the rocket figure.
1694605808422.png

Normally I wouldn't bother with the Figure style, but you certainly can if you like it to be solid rather than dashed.

Back