OpenRocket... A few items for my wish list.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went looking for NoseCone and Fin Data in an unzipped .ork file to see if I could dump it out with a simple script.

The Fin Data appears to be stored as the measurements seen on-screen ( have not looked at free-form Fin Data ).

OTOH, the NoseCone is stored in the .ork file only as a <shape> and the parameters seen on-screen which implies that the (z,r) coordinates are calculated on the fly.

So NoseCone exports will require recalculation when dumped.

HTH

-- kjh

I went looking for NoseCone and Fin Data in an unzipped .ork file to see if I could dump it out with a simple script.

The Fin Data appears to be stored as the measurements seen on-screen ( have not looked at free-form Fin Data ).

OTOH, the NoseCone is stored in the .ork file only as a <shape> and the parameters seen on-screen which implies that the (z,r) coordinates are calculated on the fly.

So NoseCone exports will require recalculation when dumped.

HTH

-- kjh
Try this thread 'Export List of Points from Openrocket?'
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/export-list-of-points-from-openrocket.133968/post-1655541

Thank you SpaceManMat for the Link and the Excel Macro !

EDIT: I'll try it out to test non-freeform fins ( I've got simple trapezoidal fins on my Vulcanite Clones ) and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again !

-- kjh

EDIT[3]: Someone posted a Cherokee E with FreeForm Fins here on TRF ... I'll try that after work.
EDIT[2]: The macro didn't like my simple Trapezoidal Fins -- Runtime Error: 6

ScreenShot:

ExtractFreeFormFins-ScreenShot.PNG

Also attached the .ork for reference.

Attachments

• vul-34.ork
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you SpaceManMat for the Link and the Excel Macro !

EDIT: I'll try it out to test non-freeform fins ( I've got simple trapezoidal fins on my Vulcanite Clones ) and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again !

-- kjh

EDIT[3]: Someone posted a Cherokee E with FreeForm Fins here on TRF ... I'll try that after work.
EDIT[2]: The macro didn't like my simple Trapezoidal Fins -- Runtime Error: 6

ScreenShot:

View attachment 591326

Also attached the .ork for reference.
Yeah from memory the free form fins are stored as a bunch of coordinates so it’s easy just to pull those out. The trapezoid fins are stored as various dimensions, you’d have to recalculate those into points to recreate the shape. FYI I believe the sim calculations are more accurate for the trapezoid so you should use them if you can.

My newest wish is Freeform Fin Tabs... I am currently working on a sim of a kit that has fin tabs, and they are not completely rectangular... It has notches for the Engine Hook Retaining Ring... I'd love to be able to represent them accurately (would make the fin pattern more accurate and easier to export to CNC or laser cutters.

1695355634868.png

Thanks for your time and efforts
Jim

Ok... Time to bump this again...

I'd still like a customizable color for the build window (not the Light/Dark UI Interface). I need at least the ability to put my rockets against a white, black, or sky blue (RGB 153, 217, 234) background.

I'd love to have material added to mass objects, as well as freeform options to give it shape.

I'd love to turn off the automatic opening of the choose component preset when adding things like centering rings.

I'd really like to be able to move components (like fins and launch lugs OFF of body tubes (e.g. Launch lug stand-offs, and fins attached to fins (or allowing them to accurately recreate the shapes of complex fin tabs)). Perhaps OR could create a error free PBT for mounting fins and other parts to?

And my big one...

Freeform nosecone shapes. I'm still not happy with my latest sim of the BNC-5E. *BUT* it's a lot better than the parts library. Problem about making it out of sub-parts is that I'm getting odd lines and bulges.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Found a problem with mounting fins* behind the pod's PBT... My solution was to add a PBT to the back of the rocket to attach the pods to so that I could mount the fins. What I think could be done is to add an offset to the pod to allow them to be properly positioned to allow for the fins to be added at a "Position relative to: Bottom of the parent component 0.0" in". Another solution I found was to make all the fins "Relative to the tip", and move *ALL* the pods to that single PBT.

*They will "disappear" into highlighted red lines above an invisible fin, and I can't get them to give me coordinates for the front and back (e.g. no 0,1.125... what you get is a N/A, 1.125)

A couple items to add to my wishlist... a "Parts Library" for mass objects (to include clay, and metal nose weights, screw eyes, eggs, etc.). And likewise a "Parts Library" for shock cords.

A couple items to add to my wishlist... a "Parts Library" for mass objects (to include clay, and metal nose weights, screw eyes, eggs, etc.). And likewise a "Parts Library" for shock cords.
That might be pretty doable if Estes and the other manufacturers assign them part numbers and have consistent specs.

Found a problem with mounting fins* behind the pod's PBT... My solution was to add a PBT to the back of the rocket to attach the pods to so that I could mount the fins. What I think could be done is to add an offset to the pod to allow them to be properly positioned to allow for the fins to be added at a "Position relative to: Bottom of the parent component 0.0" in". Another solution I found was to make all the fins "Relative to the tip", and move *ALL* the pods to that single PBT.

*They will "disappear" into highlighted red lines above an invisible fin, and I can't get them to give me coordinates for the front and back (e.g. no 0,1.125... what you get is a N/A, 1.125)
I haven't been able to recreate this...

However, something that I think would really help is an "anchor", it's the same thing as a PBT, but the software is programmed to ignore the zero length, zero diameter item (getting rid of the usual warning messages), and still allow you to mount/anchor components to it.

Ooohhh!!! A couple of new features I'd love to see... On the 3D view a Yaw and Roll indication/User selectable positioning tool (to include lighting angles)... Why? So, when you share 3D renders of your rocket, you can recapture that "perfect shot".

1707547551940.png

And a "Take a snapshot" feature that copies the build window (with an option for the entire window) to a clipboard that you can paste into your graphics editor. This way, I can share an image quickly without having to worry about others knowing that I still play "Angry Birds" and "Command & Conquer".

Some other features I'd love to request... For fins attached to pods... "Universal Orientation"... If a fin is pointing straight up, or at some specific angle, I don't have to adjust the rotation *AND* the distance to get things to "fit". The Pegasus (0806) and the EAC Firecat were nightmares to get the winglets attached properly. I'd also love to see a "Mirror and Flip" tool. When attaching winglets to rockets, I've found that I need to have one pod per part, even when it had a mirrored opposite. I'd love to be able to add one, get the part in the correct position then ""Mirror and Flip" so that one pod would do instead of having to do two. The Pegasus had 16 pods that had to be coordinated... What a PITA.

1707606614704.png

Last edited:
Some other features I'd love to request... For fins attached to pods... "Universal Orientation"... If a fin is pointing straight up, or at some specific angle, I don't have to adjust the rotation *AND* the distance to get things to "fit". The Pegasus (0806) and the EAC Firecat were nightmares to get the winglets attached properly.
For designs like that, you can save yourself a lot of grief by daisy-chaining pods, rather than attaching all pods to the main airframe. See attached ORK file for a quick-and-dirty example:
1707611386129.png

It's still not exactly pretty but it's way better than the alternative.

I'd also love to see a "Mirror and Flip" tool. When attaching winglets to rockets, I've found that I need to have one pod per part, even when it had a mirrored opposite. I'd love to be able to add one, get the part in the correct position then ""Mirror and Flip" so that one pod would do instead of having to do two. The Pegasus had 16 pods that had to be coordinated... What a PITA.
What you actually want here is something that I asked for a long time ago: an option to specify bilateral symmetry for sets of 2 fins or pods. This way you can keep them grouped as sets of two, and not be forced to have a bunch of individuals. I envision this as a checkbox that is made available whenever the number of instances is 2.

The feature request is here: https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/issues/1548. I have not been particularly successful convincing the other team members of the value of this simple feature.

Attachments

• daisy-pods.ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
Back