Open Rocket Altimeter Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davdue

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am designing a level 2 certification dual deploy rocket using OR. How do you sim the sled in the altimeter bay? Do you just use a mass component? If so how do you do it since the mass component wants a length and diameter?

Also what dual deploy altimeter should I buy that would be economical but let me do everything I want to do with it. I don't think I will ever go to level 3. The motor reloads are just too expensive. In fact once I get my level 2 I plan on flying this rocket with an adapter so I can fly it with an I motor.

Thanks,

OpenRocket is great for this kind of thing. You can create a "Mass Object" for the sled (and every other detail) in the rocket if you want to. You can rename the objects to make it easier to view/work with. Adjust the mass of the object and make it what ever size you like. You can even adjust the CG of the object.

The length of the sled should be it's real length. The diameter is not as critical, as long as your sled is centered in the rocket. Think of OpenRocket as a simulator (not a CAD program). If the components (mass) are in the correct location with the correct CG, the sim should give a reasonably accurate flight profile.

Another way - is to weigh the completed e-bay, and then simply enter a mass override on the empty e-bay without showing all the detailed components.

Thanks for all quick answers. I was thinking the Perfectflite Stratologger. It gives me dual deployment, altimeter, and data recording. I know those aren't needed for level 2 rockets but I think it would be cool to know how the rocket flew.

Back