oops - never cleaned hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sack

Reaction score
So in getting ready for the first flights of the new year, I pull out my 38mm Loki hardware and realize that I never cleaned one of them out after a flight last year. :eek: :( So what's the best way to get 6 month old crap out of the hardware? Forgot that we had received an emergency phone call and had to dash out before we cleaned up. Soak it in something?

I've had some Dr.Rocket cases sit over the winter with a spend reload in them (also just plain forgot to clean it) and I soaked it in hot soapy water overnight and it came right out. I always put grease on the liner before inserting it and heating up the case helps that grease cause the liner to just slip out.

One thing I know will clean it (but might also damage it) is CLR.(The stuff used to clean hard-water stains and the like) It will remove any and all traces of a reload but if left too long could also eat away on the casing itself.

-Aaron

Soak it in hot water and vinegar with a bit of dish soap for 1-2 hours. Then take the longest drill bit you have, attach it to said drill, then take a rag and stuff it in the case, insert drill, pull trigger, and rinse n' repeat until clean. It should work nicely.

Jason

or... just drop in in plain vinegar for a while... forget the dish detergent and hot water.

Gun cleaning supplies work well. They have a number of options including powder solvents that may help if the vinegar or soap tricks fail.

All of these are good ideas. Start with the least nasty stuff and work up. Gun cleaning solvents work well. I believe Bore Shine is one brand available at WalMart and is inexpensive. And for the really nasty stuff GM's Top Engine Cleaner in the aerosol spray. That's available at any GM dealer but is a little spendy.

NEVER let an Aluminum casing sit in A solution that is highly Acidic or Alkaline! Both will eat the case. In some cases even short term exposure will remove the annodizing.
Soaking in Hot soapy water is probably the best. Then use a pointed wooden dowel to gently drive down between the liner and the case to allow you to grasp the liner with a pair of needle nose pliers. Twist the pliers to roll up the liner.
Use caution to prevent the pliers from damaging the case. :kill:
Your cases are expensive protect them as much as possible.

Originally posted by Sailorbill
NEVER let an Aluminum casing sit in A solution that is highly Acidic or Alkaline! Both will eat the case. In some cases even short term exposure will remove the annodizing.
Soaking in Hot soapy water is probably the best. Then use a pointed wooden dowel to gently drive down between the liner and the case to allow you to grasp the liner with a pair of needle nose pliers. Twist the pliers to roll up the liner.
Use caution to prevent the pliers from damaging the case. :kill:
Your cases are expensive protect them as much as possible.

/me hands Bill a cigar....

-Kevin

A handy tool for this purpose is called an Orangewood.

McMaster 53385A55

It's about six inches long and made out of a nice hard wood. There is a flat edge on either end that will dig into a caked on mess. The real upside is the wood is softer than the case.

A

Hoppes number 9 solvent also seems to work well and doesn't attack the aluminum or anodizing.

Al

Back