Ooooopppppsss

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiten

Reaction score
I made a big boo-boo...

I applied tape on the rocket without realizing that my primary color had not fully dried yet. I thought it would have been dry after 4 days... My bad.

When I pulled the tape it took big sections of paint with it.

I am considering sanding the tube down to be "bare" again, but I also thought about using acetone to remove the paint.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

Cor

Sounds like your first choice should be to use more tape to remove the remaining paint.....

What's under the color coat and how will the acetone affect it? Having visions of a body tube covered in a molasses like jelly of half dissolved paint and primer.
From what has happened to me on a couple plastic and metal trains, I'd say patience young grasshopper, wait 2 weeks then sand.

After 4 days you should be able to moist sand it and feather the bad spots--reprime-- and repaint----well, reprime--resand--repaint---you did sand and prime to begin with--------?

I've applied lacquer thinner before and let it eat the paint and just wipe it off, and let dry thoroughly... worked great for me.

Sanding down the first coat and feathering out the damaged areas so there won't be a "step" in the finish where the paint lifted off is probably just as easy though...

I wouldn't sand it down to the bare tube, myself... just feather out the edge and take the shine off the unpulled color coat so that it has enough "tooth" for a new color coat to adhere...

Course this depends on what you're using for paint...

Later! OL JR :)

One thing that I neglected to mention was the fact that there is also a fair amount of "sticky/gummy" residue on certain sections that were taped off but where the paint was not torn off when I removed the tape. It is almost like the tape transferred its adhesive to the paint; the only bummer is that the adhesive is not coming off easy...

I have decided not to take any "short-cuts" and I see a bunch of wet sanding and dry sanding in my future...

Cor

You can use your acetone on the corner of a rag and remove the gummy areas. Be gentle.

You can use your acetone on the corner of a rag and remove the gummy areas. Be gentle.

Yup, that is what I did and it worked great.

I finished sanding last night so I am back where I was ten days ago...

I ended up sanding down to the bare tube. The good thing about all this is that my spirals are really filled in...

I am planning to apply a primer coat this weekend.

Cor

Yup, that is what I did and it worked great.

I finished sanding last night so I am back where I was ten days ago...

I ended up sanding down to the bare tube. The good thing about all this is that my spirals are really filled in...

I am planning to apply a primer coat this weekend.

Cor

If you were planning to go down to bare tube, you could have just soaked a paper towel in lacquer thinner, wiped the rocket down thoroughly with it, and let it set a few minutes, and wiped the paint and primer right off down to the bare tube, and saved yourself a WHOLE bunch of work...

OH well, no matter, done now... good luck with your refinish...

And remember-- don't rush it... that's when accidents happen...
Later! OL JR :)

Back