Only One Available!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2wander

MAC Performance Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's time to move a couple kits that have been on my build pile far to long.....and I'll never get around to building.

Lets start with (1) 3" FireStick XL that has three fins instead of four and the fins have been moved forward. Both modifications provide performance enhancement. This kit has a filament wound fiberglass boat tail and nose cone same as the one offered on our website. It also comes with one of our FastBack motor retainers and one of our new 3D printed "dual" battery electronics board. You can check out the standard kit on the website www.macperformancerocketry.com
Cost- $279.95

PM or Email: [email protected]

firestick1.jpgfirestick2.jpgfirestick3.jpgfirestick4.jpg

Next one on the pile to go is a custom 54mm dual deploy split fin kit with 38 motor mount. It comes with a Wildman FWFG nose cone and Avbay with all the hardware and 3D printed sled. The fins are one piece for strength and ease of assembly. This will fly on "Anything" you can stuff in it.
Cost: $149.00

PM or Email: [email protected]
Booster- 26"
Payload- 14"
Motor tube- 38mm x 12"

splitfin54-1.jpg splitfin54-2.jpg

This weeks kit is a 6" fiberglass Villain. It's an exact upscale from the 4" Villain on our website. It stands 9' tall and the booster will take the largest 75mm motors available.
Cost- $650.00
PM or email
[email protected]

Specifications:
Length: 108 inches
Dual Deployment
Motor Mount: 75mm
Approximate Weight: 21 lbs
Will fly on K through M motors

Content of Kit:
48" x 6" pre-slotted FWFG booster tube
24" x 6" FWFG payload tube
75mm x 22" kraft phenolic motor tube
FWFG nosecone – 36” x 6”
(3) 3/16" canvas phenolic beveled fins
fore C ring 1/4” canvas phenolic w/dual U Bolts
3/16" canvas phenolic mid C rings
3/16" canvas phenolic aft C ring with a step machined in the OD to double as a thrust plate
1/4" canvas phenolic altimeter bay bulkplates with machined step to engage coupler
6” x 1 ½” switch band
12" long FWFG coupler/altimeter bay
Altimeter bay includes: (2) aluminum 1/4" all thread rods,
3 1/2" x 5 1/2" 3D Printed altimeter board w/dual battery box

Attachments

• 6 inch Villain 2.jpg
    6 inch Villain 2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 6 inch Villain 3.jpg
    6 inch Villain 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 6 inch Villain.jpg
    6 inch Villain.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
It's not really about the cost of a mandrel but more about what's a good fit for us in the rocketry community. Our Canvas kits continue to sell far greater than I could have ever imagined, and for that we say Thank You!! The only 6" kit that we carry/stock is our SuperFly. We sell a hand full of them compared to the number of kits sold in 54, 3" and 3.9" with 3" kits being the sweet spot. The average flyer may never own a 6" kit. For us it just makes sense to concentrate on and continue to improve the products we already manufacture and sell.

Mike

Thanks for the explanation!

Short and stubby large rockets like LOC's Minie Magg and Warlock are in my (L1) flying range and match the limited East Coast altitude waivers I have flown under. 6" fiberglass starts to be too heavy for me even in that stubby shape, but I think 6" (or 5.5" or whatever) canvas phenolic would be interesting.

The reason you don't sell many 6" kits may be because they are fiberglass. That means they are heavy, and nothing that special that folks can't get elsewhere.

Actually the conversation of 6 inch rockets wasnt about fiberglass. It was asked about the canvas wound phenolic that MAC performance makes all their other awesome kits with in other sizes.

Besides that even fiberglass kits are really nice. Not always heavy. Much stronger then carboard,or standard phenolic tube. And With the service and quality that Mike has at MAC Performance his fiberglass kits are really nice as well

The reason you don't sell many 6" kits may be because they are fiberglass. That means they are heavy, and nothing that special that folks can't get elsewhere.
I disagree. As a wildman regular I feel like the blackfly complements rather than competes, and I bet that there are simply not that many humans who want to own a 6"-wide rocket out there (i am one of them, but i am weirdo/niche).

The 6" blackfly is definitely on my list and as a fellow weirdo I'd definitely be interested in an even larger version as well.

That said, I can totally understand how these larger kits aren't exactly a compelling place to put R&D dollars.

Don't get me wrong, the blackfly is a cool design (I lost my 4 inch version), and a six inch version would be awesome. But a lighter version would open up a lot more motor options and get flown more. Plus, six inch canvas airframes would open up new possibilities for other rockets.

Bump.

This weeks kit is a 6" fiberglass Villain. It's an exact upscale from the 4" Villain on our website. It stands 9' tall and the booster will take the largest 75mm motors available.
Cost- $650.00
PM or email
[email protected]

Specifications:
Length: 108 inches
Dual Deployment
Motor Mount: 75mm
Approximate Weight: 21 lbs
Will fly on K through M motors

Content of Kit:
48" x 6" pre-slotted FWFG booster tube
24" x 6" FWFG payload tube
75mm x 22" kraft phenolic motor tube
FWFG nosecone – 36” x 6”
(3) 3/16" canvas phenolic beveled fins
fore C ring 1/4” canvas phenolic w/dual U Bolts
3/16" canvas phenolic mid C rings
3/16" canvas phenolic aft C ring with a step machined in the OD to double as a thrust plate
1/4" canvas phenolic altimeter bay bulkplates with machined step to engage coupler
6” x 1 ½” switch band
12" long FWFG coupler/altimeter bay
Altimeter bay includes: (2) aluminum 1/4" all thread rods,
3 1/2" x 5 1/2" 3D Printed altimeter board w/dual battery box

Last edited:
Dang it! That'll teach me to work overtime! Having Rockets without money is better than having money with no rockets...I think...wait, ummm...
pics, Greg, pics!

Back