Olympics and Brokaw's Space Race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
NBC just aired a piece on the Olympics called "Space Race", hosted by Tom Brokaw.

It had the history of the Cold War and the Space Race. Included were the recollections of Tom Stafford and Alexei Leonov and the Apollo Soyuz Test Project.

Also, appearing was the daughter of Sergei Korolev, along with some Soviet era footage that I had not seen before.

Perhaps it will show up on NBC's website or YouTube.

Greg

I am watching it now and it has some great info on the space race. everyone should check it out.

Very unusual for a 'major media' presentation in that I saw no real screeching inaccuracies, although IMO they were remiss in not mentioning the double tragedies of Apollo 1/Soyuz 1 which knocked both programs back significantly in 1967.

Watching the video, it hit me that it's too bad some kind of Yuri Gagarin movie wasn't made in the 1990s with Tom Cruise in the lead -- IMO they have a fairly good resemblance and of course Gagarin was small in stature so for once Cruise wouldn't have had to wear elevator boots for an entire movie.

Now of course Cruise is in his 50s and too old to play Gagarin, but I still think there's a major hit movie to be made out of the Soviet space program someday.

Thanks for posting this. I missed it on TV but I was able to watch it this morning. I think it was pretty well done.

The story they did on the Russian Lokomotiv hockey team that died in a plane crash last night had me choked up. Check it out if you get a chance.

Back