Old timer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTS SkunkWorks

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to live near Las Vegas and joined Tripoli Vegas in the 1990's. Made my L1 flight in 1994 and L2 in 96 with the certs signed by Tom Blazanin TRA 003. The Vegas club included Gary Rosenfield and Les Derkowitz. Everyone was quite helpful and helped keep me from messing up too bad.

I was known for my "gizmo" rockets according to Brent McNeely. I flew camera rockets with film cameras and servo actuated shutters. Brian Riorden programmed PIC chips for camera and VTS control. I liked flying the Aerotech Hybrid motors as they lit FAST and I could launch drag racy style and get pics of rockets coming up, see attached.

I eventually started building Vertical Trajectory System (VTS) based on a LOC 4" EZI with 4 instead of 3 fins. This led to roll control using RCT motors as hot gas thrusters then CO2 for Cold Gas Thrusters. The early systems used Futaba RC rate gyros that actually had spinning disk masses to sense rates. I learned much about shovel recovery.

I was lucky enough to get some articles printed in Bruce's HPR and later in Brent's Extreme Rocketry magazines and in Tim's newsletters.

I am now retired and am back to flying low power and helping local Jr High kids.
The effort and workmanship put into VTS type rockets today far exceeds my efforts! Wow, fun to watch!

Steve Ainsworth TRA 2454

Attachments

• 01Roll Thruster Pad.jpg
    01Roll Thruster Pad.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 31 Launch Roll.jpg
    31 Launch Roll.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Aerial 10.jpg
    Aerial 10.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Drag Race Crop.jpg
    Drag Race Crop.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 0
  • Electronics.jpg
    Electronics.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • GuidePad.JPG
    GuidePad.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6449.JPG
    IMG_6449.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • CGT Booster Dart 2002 08 03.jpg
    CGT Booster Dart 2002 08 03.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1995 Aurora.jpg
    1995 Aurora.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Calendar 2006 1.jpg
    Calendar 2006 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Blackrock Demo.jpg
    Blackrock Demo.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I was fortunate enough to live near Las Vegas and joined Tripoli Vegas in the 1990's. Made my L1 flight in 1994 and L2 in 96 with the certs signed by Tom Blazanin TRA 003. The Vegas club included Gary Rosenfield and Les Derkowitz. Everyone was quite helpful and helped keep me from messing up too bad.

I was known for my "gizmo" rockets according to Brent McNeely. I flew camera rockets with film cameras and servo actuated shutters. Brian Riorden programmed PIC chips for camera and VTS control. I liked flying the Aerotech Hybrid motors as they lit FAST and I could launch drag racy style and get pics of rockets coming up, see attached.

I eventually started building Vertical Trajectory System (VTS) based on a LOC 4" EZI with 4 instead of 3 fins. This led to roll control using RCT motors as hot gas thrusters then CO2 for Cold Gas Thrusters. The early systems used Futaba RC rate gyros that actually had spinning disk masses to sense rates. I learned much about shovel recovery.

I was lucky enough to get some articles printed in Bruce's HPR and later in Brent's Extreme Rocketry magazines and in Tim's newsletters.

I am now retired and am back to flying low power and helping local Jr High kids.
The effort and workmanship put into VTS type rockets today far exceeds my efforts! Wow, fun to watch!

Steve Ainsworth TRA 2454
Welcome back. Are you making it out to Jean ?

Ah, okay.

I remember an HPR article on a rocket camera using an N2000, and was wondering if that was yours.
All of my film cameras were plastic and purchased from thrift stores. The real find's were ones with auto wind, so all I had to do was construct a way to press the shutter.

Back in the 90's there was a guy that took super 8 movies using a plastic movie camera that he could source from thrift stores, Ray Dunkan?

There are some GREAT articles on rocket photography

Yea I think it was Ray Dunkan, I got one of his 2.56" noses that had a Olympus plastic auto winder in it. I still have it down in my Liar.
I had a 4" camera section with the camera looking out the side. So side view going up. The Booster and camera had seperate chutes. The camera chute was rigged so the camera came down looning down.

One of my favorite shots was this one from Delmar. You can see the red/white booster on the ground, and the shadow of the camera and chute!

Attachments

• Aerial 10.jpg
    Aerial 10.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 0
Welcome back, Steve !

I lived in San Diego back in those days and I used to fly at Boulder Dry Lake or Delamar once in a while.

I do remember you from back then.

Your VTS was ( and still is ) amazing !

-- kjh( aka Konrad Hambrick )

Welcome back, Steve !

I lived in San Diego back in those days and I used to fly at Boulder Dry Lake or Delamar once in a while.

I do remember you from back then.

Your VTS was ( and still is ) amazing !

-- kjh( aka Konrad Hambrick )
Konrad, you came out for the Turkey shoot event around Thanksgiving?

Dave, I will have to get back out to say hi

Steve --

Yes.

I made all the Turkey Shoot Launches from 1994 until 1999 ( missed 2000 and on because I got a new job and moved away from S.D. )

-- kjh

Back