Old Russian Liquid Fuel Rocket Engine - Complete

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this rocket engine for sale in the EU complete and un-used. It was apparently designed during the Soviet era for use in military rockets. I am sure someone on the experimental side of the high power rocketry hobby could find an interesting use for it and potentially re-purpose it.

Thoughts or comments?

Attachments

• 6CACD4ED-8AFE-4289-89A2-395B4E0712CD.jpeg
    6CACD4ED-8AFE-4289-89A2-395B4E0712CD.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DE0631B7-BFF4-4358-A084-090F14223E9D.jpeg
    DE0631B7-BFF4-4358-A084-090F14223E9D.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2DA0CE67-A7D4-491D-AEA5-58E3DED9C0FA.jpeg
    2DA0CE67-A7D4-491D-AEA5-58E3DED9C0FA.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3
How big is it????
Need something in photos for scale. A meter stick would be ideal.
Nitric acid / Amine liquid propellant engine.
New engine, has never been used, still sealed.
Type: S2.720
Thrust: 34,3 kN (7 711 lbf; 3 500 kg)
Engine weight: 48 kg (105 lb)
Chamber pressure: 64 bar
Height: 0,95m (3,1ft)
Diameter: 0,48m (1,56ft)
Designed by the bureau of Alexei M. Isayev in 1960s.

Nitric acid / Amine liquid propellant engine.
New engine, has never been used, still sealed.
Type: S2.720
Thrust: 34,3 kN (7 711 lbf; 3 500 kg)
Engine weight: 48 kg (105 lb)
Chamber pressure: 64 bar
Height: 0,95m (3,1ft)
Diameter: 0,48m (1,56ft)
Designed by the bureau of Alexei M. Isayev in 1960s.
I wonder if its propellants are RFNA and UDMH, which is likely since the engines were used in military missles and both are "storeable propellants".

Do doubt but I would love to hook it up to some tanks and let it fly!!!
Yeah sure. Try to get the tankage for fuming nitric acid and dimethyl amino ethyl azide!
Rocketkyle has it right. Hang it in the basement as it would be darned near impossible for an
amateur to handle the dangerous propellants. Kurt

I did a little more research and found that yes, it was used as the sustainer stage in the S-75 surface to air missile. Below are the fuels and oxidizers used. Max burn time was 55 seconds.

Fuel: Tonka (TG-02) aka R-Stoff ( 50% triethylamine and 50% xylidine )

Oxidizer: AK-20K aka RFNA (Red Fuming Nitric Acid) (80% nitric acid (HNO3), 20% N2O4 + fluorine-based inhibitor)

I wonder if it could be reconfigured to utilize other fuels/oxidizers?

Do they let you use liquid propellant at a Tripoli event? Maybe some enterprising young man with $20,000 to spare could build a nice rocket around this motor...

Wow, I could see at the very least, the EPA crawling up someone's backside if they tried to get "permission" to import it or actually use it.

SA-2 Guideline (V-750VK Dvina) Surface-to-Air Missile Upper stage engine, first stage was a BIG solid. This is the same upper stage that shot down Gary Powers in the U2. Ussually fired in cluster, radar homing. Airframes and guidance units were readily available in the CZ Republic a few years ago. The fuel combination needs to be hypergolic to start the engine, it runs on a gas generator cycle, it can be reconfigured to run on kerosene IF you pilot it with Tonka (amine xylidine) - legacy WW2 German propellants. The nitric acid based oxidizer (nitric acid, NTO) - the NTO is to increase performance, the fluorine just passivates the tanks for long term storage. The O/F ratio is fixed since the gas generator runs a common shaft turbo pump (fuel pump and ox pump are tied to the same shaft), feedback control is a fluid servo control. Hit the start button and it runs with and integrated controller, no electronics. It is a testament to Soviet engineering design. These are also mostly likely “appropriated” Soviet state property, but who care! They most came out of “demilled“ SA-2s but the engines were not destroyed. They were merely taken apart. The seals are the blow out disc for the high altitude start. The seal on the turbo pumps are rupture disks. These are very integrated engines, deviating much from the from the original propellants would prove difficult - especially the gas generator. I have yet to see the propellant tanks for sale but they may (?) have been integrated into the airframe. The only possible reconfiguration might be HP with hypergolic “alcohol” based fuels…. With the emphasis on might. More importantly the SA-2 is still in use in some countries without the most modern anti aircraft systems.

Dang It!!! I am Scratch-building a S-75 Dvina on my bench right now!

Sadly its designed to fly on H's & I's....
I knew I should have gone with 1:1 Scale! :)

Just a point, MFPA 1127 allows N2O + methyl or ethyl alcohol liquid systems. This came about because of the tribrid rocket motor. Unless I'm mistaken, TRA would allow that combo, since that is how it got into 1127 in the first place.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gerald

Just a point, MFPA 1127 allows N2O + methyl or ethyl alcohol liquid systems. This came about because of the tribrid rocket motor. Unless I'm mistaken, TRA would allow that combo, since that is how it got into 1127 in the first place.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gerald
Weren't the Tribrids also part solid fuel as well? The motor being discussed here is a pure liquid system that may be the difference if you ignore the S2.720's fuels.

Latest posts

Back