Old RMS Delay Elements as Ignition Enhancer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imaknow

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am a cheapskate.
I have some 20 year old RMS motor reload kits that I have bought new delay elements for as recommended for flying the old motors.

I hate to waste the old delay elements, and I was contemplating if the old delays can be cut up to enhance ignition of the motors.

What say you?

Ground test a small, freshly cut sliver, without a motor. Use a small-ish igniter, for example an e-match or Estes igniter. If it readily ignites with an e-match, it's a good propellant to augment igniters (examples are AT Blue Thunder and CTI White Thunder). If it doesn't ignite, it's not a great choice for augmenting igniters, but you can still try to test with a more powerful igniter a la FirstFire.
I've once used a leftover delay to test if I can ignite it with electricity - loosly inspired by exploding bridgewire detonators 1) - and the propellant didn't ignite on multiple attempts. That piece of delay immediately ignited when I gave up and disposed it with a lighter. In other words, test with realistic igniters and don't save on money by using a lighter.

Reinhard

1) Far from a propper EBW, just loosly inspired: A small capacitor bank, 2mF at 400V (160J) firing a random piece of thin wire (think Cat5 shielding). This results in a loud bang from the arc discharge, but the delay was unimpressed. Would have been nice if it worked though.

Blue thunder will light by just blowing on it. Meaning it lights very easily. I would test on something harder, like red or green. I have found those delay grains harder to light when not under pressure. Test, and good luck.

Back