Old Antics Still Have Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
The other day I was going through the checkout at the local Wally World and noticed one of my preferred cashiers was killing time with my cashier at hand hanging out at the end. She quoted, "Oh, so you don't want me today, w'sup with that?" I said, "You weren't at your register and besides, I wanted her today." Then I stuck my tongue out at her.

She busted out laughing and I knew she would understand that I was just being a smart a$$. Funny how that old and simple reaction still has the same meaning. Just like flipping someone off still does.

She wants my phone number now and I feel really guilty giving her bogus numbers. Par for the course I guess.

Why bogus numbers?? Married??

If you're not into her, say you are and be done with it...

Or otherwise attached... whatever...

Bogus numbers just sucks...

Later! OL JR :)

Why bogus numbers?? Married??

If you're not into her, say you are and be done with it...

Or otherwise attached... whatever...

Bogus numbers just sucks...

The bogus ph numbers line is a joke. That didn't happen, The rest did. I just played it up a notch. Don't get anal on me.

The bogus ph numbers line is a joke. That didn't happen, The rest did. I just played it up a notch. Don't get anal on me.

Ah ok... sarcasm doesn't come off very well on forums (how well I know!) LOL:)

Just thought that giving fake numbers to someone was kinda low... makes them look like a fool... Much better IMHO to stand up and say "no thanks" or just blow it off with an "I'm in a relationship" kinda thing, ya know...

I'll save the "anal" part for the HPR forums... LOL:) (YES, LAUGH OUT LOUD, as in "I'm FRIGGIN' JOKING!" if anybody reading this is particularly sensitive... Just have to laugh because someone started something with me over there for pointing out that folks frequently start stuff with me for having a different opinion and being safety conscious... LOL:) Some people's children...)

Later and have a good one! It's all cool...

OL JR :)

Funny but true story...

I was in Indiana a week and a half ago, for about 2.5 weeks, helping my BIL plant crops... I ran the soybean no-til drill and he ran the corn planter for all but the last 5% or so that his oldest boy did. At any rate, we hit it hard and got a lot done, but we had a little downtime in there too...

One day we were on a run up north somewhere and heading back to their place through the country roads... were going by the first field I drilled about a week before to see if anything was coming up yet... as we were coming up to a solitary "T" intersection in the middle of nowhere, my BIL sees a truck approaching from the other side of the intersection, big old diesel pickup pulling a huge aluminum livestock trailer... he decides to flip the guy off, thinking he's a friend of his...

As we make the turn, he realizes it's NOT who he thinks it is, so he slams on the brakes and spools the window down, and says, "Sorry, I thought you were *(whomever)*... he's a buddy of mine and I would have flipped him off..." The guy looks kinda funny and says, "Nah, don't know him... have a good one..." and that was that...

BIL was kinda chagrined on that one...

Here is my Wal Mart story...

Went to WalMart the other day, got in the check out line for register #9. Sign taped to the end of the counter said "Sorry the belt is broken". I didn't have that many items so I went ahead and stayed in line.

The lady in front of me started loading her items, a few at a time so the checker could scan them, and she commented on how you don't realize how much you miss something until it's gone. The checker then looked up at me and said "Hon, I am going to open up register #8 right after I get this lady checked-out, so if you want to move over there, I will get right with you". [I think it's cute when a twenty-something calls me "Hon"--ya gotta love Southern women!]

So I move next door to register 8 and start loading my stuff on the belt...the checker on #7 turns around and gives me this priceless "what the heck do you think you're doing?" look and sorta says "Sir??"...the checker on #9 says "It's OK, I am moving over to 8 because this belt is broken". I look at checker #7, grin, and say "Didn't you see my imaginary friend over there?" and I turn to the empty register and say "Fine, thanks for asking, how are you?"

The lady that had been in front of me on #9 busts a gut laughing and says "You should have gone with that!!"...By now the clerks are giggling, so I guess it was good times at the Duncan WalMart...

When the checker came over and opened up the register, she said "Hon, sorry for the wait"...I told her "That's OK, the look on her face (referring to checker #7) was totally worth it!"... that got more giggles from both checkers.

On that topic of being a "smart a$$"... I don't tolerate rude people very well. In my opinion, being Politically Correct should not prevent one from pointing out unacceptable behavior.

For those of you who have never seen me in person, my hair is pretty long. When one does not the run-of-the-mill appearance, it does evoke comments - it comes with the territory. 95% of the comments come from women. Most are fairly innocent and non-judgemental.

Occasionally I'll get unsolicited fashion advice. That's when the "smart a$$" kicks in. Most of the time my responses are something like, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. Did you?" or "And this is important to you for what reason?"

But most recently I tried something new:
(Her) "You need a haircut!"
(Me) "Really? Is that what you think?"
(Her) "Yes"
(Me) "If you say so." So... now it's my turn to tell you what you should change about YOUR appearance?"
(Her) "Um...."
(Me) "Yeah, nobody likes that do they?"

Last edited:
The 20 something cashier at the Murphy's told me I looked hot. I took it for flirting, it certainly had nothing to do with the fact that it was in the upper nineties and I was drenched in sweat.

The 20 something cashier at the Murphy's told me I looked hot. I took it for flirting, it certainly had nothing to do with the fact that it was in the upper nineties and I was drenched in sweat.

Juxtapose: A Yogi Berra quote: He was told that he looked cool in his summer suit by the Mayor of New York's wife, and he said "You don't look so hot yourself"

Absolutely did not have anything to do with the weather.
Take it when you can brother....
I got a tetanus shot last week.
I had to take off my shirt and when I did ,the nurse,in a kinda impulsive way, said.."Oh,Muscles".
Im still smilinmg over that one...:lol: :smile:

The other day I was going through the checkout at the local Wally World and noticed one of my preferred cashiers was killing time with my cashier at hand hanging out at the end. She quoted, "Oh, so you don't want me today, w'sup with that?" I said, "You weren't at your register and besides, I wanted her today." Then I stuck my tongue out at her.

She busted out laughing and I knew she would understand that I was just being a smart a$$. Funny how that old and simple reaction still has the same meaning. Just like flipping someone off still does.

She wants my phone number now and I feel really guilty giving her bogus numbers. Par for the course I guess.
..and she feels how about rocketry?

..and she feels how about rocketry?

Prolly clueless about rocketry. She does, on the other hand, have a clue about mindless atomatons that come through her line to which we both recognize as a disease in the community. For the record, I have no personal interest in her, but she does treat me kindly while she's on the clock.

Back