• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Okay...who out there is a Mozilla/Thunderbird Expert?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be able to help... I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while.

Originally posted by BlueNinja
I might be able to help... I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while.

Okay, here is the problem. Under my settings (Tools:Account Settings:Outgoing Server) I have to change my SMTP from direcway.com to hughes.net. But when I do, I still get an error when I try to send e-mail. I can recieve e-mails fine, but fro some reason, I can't send. Any ideas?

I can help, but I need details on the error.

Is Directway.com your ISP? Oh... I see, Your ISP changed names.

It sounds like a problem on their end. See if they have a page about mail client configuration to make sure your settings are correct.

Originally posted by BARX2
flying, check out this web page "How To Configure Your Email Client":

https://kb.hughesnet.com/al/12/2/1079.htm

Looks like your smtp server is smtp.hughes.net

I did change it to "smtp.hughes.net"

But I still get and error...well here's what it looks like:

Sending message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.direcway.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing smtp connections. Please verify that your SMTP setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

Sounds like it's on their end, not yours. If they have free customer service, call them.

*edit*
Sorry - didn't mean to sound like shreadvector...:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad

....connecting to SMTP server smtp.direcway.com failed.

Sounds like the change didn't 'take' or you didn't get it changed in the right place.

Something weird is happening to me with Firefox. When I click on an image link here on the forum, Firefox asks me what application I want to use to open it. Which is stupid, because these are just JPEGs, TIFFs, and GIFs. They should simply open in the current window or, possibly, in a new window.

I finally just told the program to use itself (Firefox) to open the file. This kind of works, but it opens up two tabs, one of which is completely blank, and the other has the image on it.

And when I try to open TIFFs, something insane happens. Firefox begins to generate tabs (blank ones I think) like crazy. I have to shut down the application to stop it.

Any ideas? This doesn't happen to me with the Safari web browser.

flying_silverad, if you are still having problems, you can set the smtp server manually in the config.

Go the the page 'About:config'. Filter on 'smtp'.
Find the entry 'mail.smtpserver.smtp1.hostname' and be sure it is set to "smtp.hughes.net". (to change, right click on the entry and select 'Modify')

Ok, that thread was very helpful. Is the owner of TRF going to upgrade vBulletin?

But I still get and error...well here's what it looks like:

Sending message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.direcway.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing smtp connections. Please verify that your SMTP setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.
Did you get it working?

Like others have said, it sounds like your changes didn't take. Perhaps you changed in the wrong spot?

In case you haven't gotten it to work...
If you open up "Account Settings", you will see a list of your accounts. At the very bottom, below "Local Folders", you will see "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". If you click on this you will see what your outgoing server. What does this say?

Originally posted by MaxPower
Did you get it working?

Like others have said, it sounds like your changes didn't take. Perhaps you changed in the wrong spot?

In case you haven't gotten it to work...
If you open up "Account Settings", you will see a list of your accounts. At the very bottom, below "Local Folders", you will see "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". If you click on this you will see what your outgoing server. What does this say?

smtp.hughes.net

Outgoing Server Settings...

Which secure connection do I chose?

and...

When you check username and password, you type in the username and the password seperated by a period...like:

rockettube.powder

Right?

Outgoing Server Settings...

Which secure connection do I chose?

and...

When you check username and password, you type in the username and the password seperated by a period...like:

rockettube.powder

Right?
Just type in the username. Some servers will require a password for outgoing mail and it will ask you when you go to send an email. You can then type it in once and enable the checkbox that asks if you want it to save the password for you. My outgoing servers do not require a password or any secure connection. They limit connection to their servers by IP address. Since they own my IP they know who is safe to use their servers and who is not.

Since you have the correct outgoing server I am not sure why the error says it is with your other server. Do you have two smtp servers enabled? That is, do you see two smtp servers in the list when you select "Outgoing Server (smtp)"

Did you try calling hughes.net?

Update.

THis is one time I could tell a story like Lewis Black.

Okay, I called Hughes. Needless to say, the preson that was helping me was NOT from, or located within the United States. "Hello John...Don't Worry." he said about 20 times. "Sorry, we don't support mozilla." after about 20 minutes. So now, I'm calling them. The problem is that it looks like it's going to cost about 39.00!

Never tell them that you are using Thunderbird. Just tell them that it's Outlook Express or something.

Originally posted by m85476585
Never tell them that you are using Thunderbird. Just tell them that it's Outlook Express or something.

Well, considering how they have my site ID, it may be a little to do that. At any rate, I tried getting help from Thunderbird support which resulted with someone who basicially shrugged thier shoulders.

So, if it rains on Wed, I'm pulling the plug and walking this box to my local Geek Squad.

https://kb.hughesnet.com/al/12/2/1079.htm#Configuring_Email_in_Mozilla

"19. In the Server Name field, enter the hostname of the SMTP server:

smtp.hughes.net

When configuring your POP3 logon, be sure to use the complete email address ([email protected]). In order to send email using your email client, you MUST use SMTP authentication. When configuring your SMTP server information, enable SMTP authentication then enter your email account ([email protected]) and your password. Passwords are case sensitive. View your email client help file for more information."

Are you setting SMTP authentication and did you enter the correct info there?

Authentication in Thunderbird is under Security and Authentication. Check the Username ans password box, and enter your email address in the field. Security should usually be "TLS if Available". Under the server address the port unmber should be 25. If you have it set to 25 and it still doesn't work try 587, but it probably won't help.

Is therre a distinction between user name and email address?

Back