Ok... Future Floor Wax... What Is It Called Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes... Yes... Yet another Future Floor Wax thread.

This product has been used for decades to protect decals on rockets and other modeling projects. Problem is, it has changed names more often than Elizabeth Taylor changed husbands.

What is it called today?

It is no longer being produced, which is a bummer since the bottle I purchased a couple of decades ago finally went dry.

I have used this product from HD with similar results

1684724376117.png
Your mileage may vary.

I have done several rockets with this 50/50 diluted with water and it seems to work about the same. It is not clear like Future was, but it seems to dry clear.

What is it called today?

Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss is what's on the label of the last bottle I purchased at our local Ace hardware store. That was about one year ago and I haven't seen it in stock at Ace since then, presumably for reasons mentioned above.

The Holloway seems to be the choice of some static modelers. I got this link from JimZ on Facebook.
Pledge replacement
I always preferred the easy, wipe it on application method of acrylic floor products. :)

Testor's Gloss Clear looks the same way in the bottle.
I think Testor's has the best acrylic flat coat out there... Their Gloss, Satin and Flat coats are all a milky white. So is Vallejo, AK and Liquitex.

Oh, and one thing on the Holloway Quick Shine....I've only used it once. However, there are two labels. Green and Blue, be sure to get the Green. The blue label is a cleaner. The cleaner does not like styrene.

Last edited:
This is SC Johnson's last and final offering, Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss:

IMG_1803.jpg

Future was replaced by Pledge Floor Care Finish in 2014, which was replaced by Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss in 2018. Revive It was discontinued in 2022.

I bought this bottle at Ace in March '22. The guy behind the counter said it was the last bottle, since SC Johnson was discontinuing the product. Not sure what else is out there that produces the same coat of clear acrylic, but Revive It is great for sealing decals/vinyl, and protecting paint (mostly fins) from chips, etc.

Last edited:
This is SC Johnson's last and final offering, Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss:

View attachment 582151

Future was replaced by Pledge Floor Care Finish in 2014, which was replaced by Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss in 2018. Revive It was discontinued in 2022.

I bought this bottle at Ace in March '22. The guy behind the counter said it was the last bottle, since SC Johnson was discontinuing the product. Not sure what else is out there that produces the same coat of clear acrylic, but Revive It is great for sealing decals/vinyl, and protecting paint (mostly fins) from chips, etc.

Any chance they will Revive It?

What are rocketeers using for a clear finish on their rockets these days?

Glad you asked.

I sure do wish that I had picked up another bottle of Future (or whatever it was named) before mine ran out. It was nearly a foolproof finish, if you wanted a gloss finish on your rocket.

Holloway House Quick Shine was recommended on several modeling sites as a replacement. and as stated, it is not clear like Future was.

IMG_5358_Small.jpg

The glass jar is a 50/50 mix of Quick Shine and Water. I have used it on several rockets so far. On the lighter colors, it seems to work well. On darker colors, you can see that the color appears cloudy in the dried finish. A second coat helps, but it seems to not be as perfectly clear as the Future was. Also, it seems to not stay on some decals, which may leave them a little less glossy than the surrounding rocket. This has happened on several brands of decals. I have also noticed that it works best with high gloss paint. The Testors competition orange, which is more of a satin finish, than a gloss or flat, just had the Quick Shine pull into drops, instead of spreading evenly across the painted surface. As a result, I quickly wiped it off, and left that part of the rocket without a clear coat (See my Estes Rogue clone in the gallery).

As a result, I am still looking for a good clear acrylic finish.

I 've got the Holloway product as well and used it on the Squirrel Works Tuber shown in my avatar picture. It dried clear but with subjectively less gloss finish. I'll continue with it because I like the easy application but I really miss (the) Future. 😢

Back