Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrode

Reaction score
This is my scratch built nose cone for my Pterodactyl.

It is 8.75" dia. and 31" long with a 6" sholder. It weighs 60 oz. with a CG at 22" from the tip. This is of course before glassing.

The entire rocket will stand 7' 6" tall and has a foot pateren of 30".

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. This is my second scratch nose cone. My first was a 5.5" upscale of the Estes Fat Boy.

Tim Hansford
Valparaiso, IN
Tripoli Michiana Vise-Prefect www.TripoliMichiana.net
[email protected]
NAR/TRA L2

The suspense is too great. Are you going to tell us how you did it? Many people may know but to new guys like me I would like to know your system.

Thanks

Ray Crane

Very nice indeed! Looks much nicer than the 8-incher I made.

Sure, I'll tell ya. Well if you look at the nosecone you'll see the lines of the layers of blueboard foam. I took 2" thick foam and layered it together. I took a 1 1/2" x 2" pieace of wood down the center as strenght and a way to chuck it up in the lathe.

Then I centered it up im my lathe and took it down to the shape I desired. Not much too it really. Next it will get 2 layers of 6 oz. glass and then a layer of 2 oz as a vail.

Dude!!! That is beautiful. You need to do a nose cone side business. I would gladly be one of your customers. :)

Aw, crap!!! This is PGerringer. I'm up at Carl's and I forgot to signout as him.

Originally posted by Electrode
...layers of blueboard foam. I took 2" thick foam and layered it together...

The seams look great. What kind of glue did you use? I used urethane glue for mine, and used too much. Despite holding the 'sandwich' together with plywood and cinderblocks, the layer of glue was pretty thick in places. The result was the cone tended to form peaks at the seams. I had to cut out the seam (vee shped cut) and fill the holes in more than a few spots.

Oh and what did you use to turn it. I found some very coarse sandpaper from a belt sander worked best. It also had a very sturdy backing vs. normal sandpaper.

Thanks!

I'd be willing to make some nose cones for people.. .. Just tell me what size ya want.

I use wood turning tools to get it down to a close shape and then to finnilize it it use 60 grit and then 80 grit and then 120 grit. first on a sanding block then I finnish with just the paper so it can wrap around the cone.

oh ya I use West System. The only epoxy to use.

Thanks for all the complaments

Tim

Originally posted by Electrode
I'd be willing to make some nose cones for people.. .. Just tell me what size ya want.

Can I get a fiberglass nose cone for a BT-5 Black Brant 3?:)

Back