Nose Cone Payload Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V2rocketeer

Reaction score
G'Day all

Here is the nosecone for my Drago. I want to make it a payload section for an altimeter or tracker or both, So far my idea is to sand down a piece of PVC and slide it in the nose cone sleeve, then thread a cap on as shown in the picture. I am looking for ideas with nose cone payloads of how to mount the sled or other ideas for a nose cone payload. My initial thought is to drill vent holes in the shoulder area to provide venting for an altimeter.

Chris

2012-12-27130739.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool idea. I am not sure how much this would cause problems with the altimeter.

Any one: How far down the shoulder to you haver to be to avoid altimeter pressure sensor issues?

One potential problem with the use of PVC is static electricity. Generally static electricity is a background concern with modern electronics (though it can still ruin altimeters), but PVC is an excellent insulator and will accumulate static very easily in dry air. I would line the inside of the PVC with some sort of anti-static lining. We use an anti-static foam ('conductive' foam, a thick, non-springy black foam) in our avionics class.

I was thinking of making the nosecone a breakaway model. IE that the sleeve would bolt to the nose cone itself since they are separate to start with. Of course this would mean some bolt heads sticking out the side of the nose cone but this isn't meant to be a high performance model.. I could use vent holes through the body tube through the sleeve. Any thoughts on that idea?

Chris
2012-12-28173905.jpg

These are really lousy pictures, because I have a really lousy camera. But hopefully, they will give you an idea of my method.

Made this ISC for my buddy's Carbon Quantum Extreme. But it illustrates my method. (Third pic is the av bay lower b/h and sled.)

I'm a (disabled/retired) machinist/mechanic, and own and operate a lathe. I turn a collar from appropriately sized aluminum tubing, and J-B Weld it in place in the end of the coupler (or nosecone shoulder.) Then I machine an aluminum bulkhead, and index holes thru the coupler and collar into the bulkhead, and countersink flat head stainless screws tapped into the b/h to hold it in place. I then mount a G10 sled using some 1/2" angle aluminum. It works for me. (Using aluminum bulkheads in the new CQX because of the CATO that killed the original QLII. It destroyed many a $$ worth of electronix, and that's not going to happen again. I also make aluminum bulkheads for all my av bays, and mount the sleds in a similar manner. Av bays don't use a collar, because they don't use radial screws.)

I realize not everyone has access to the machine tools I own. But if you'd like a small machine lathe, I know where you can get one. :)

View attachment 109604View attachment 109605View attachment 109606

Last edited:
Here's a pic of a 54mm n/c I did. Same story. Collar glued in place, radial screws hold the b/h in place. In the nosecones, adds mass where it's needed and makes mounting GPS and other electronix easy, and in av bays, protects the electronix from bullet-like flying closures, in the event of a CATO.

View attachment 109608

I sort of put this project on the back burner for a month whilst I figured out what to do about the static electricity. Cherokee I don't have access to a lathe but your work looks very good. After talking to another rocketeer at a local launch the idea of anti-static paint was brought up. I was thinking of mixing graphite powder with a clear laquer and coating the PVC to reduce static build up. Has any one else used PVC in this manner? The altimeter itself I imagine will sit on the sled in the nosecone area while the PVC would be aft.

Does this sound like a workable solution? OR is PVC just a no no? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

One potential problem with the use of PVC is static electricity. Generally static electricity is a background concern with modern electronics (though it can still ruin altimeters), but PVC is an excellent insulator and will accumulate static very easily in dry air. I would line the inside of the PVC with some sort of anti-static lining. We use an anti-static foam ('conductive' foam, a thick, non-springy black foam) in our avionics class.

When I put my electronics in the nose cone I put my vent hole as far down the shoulder as I can go. Like literally leave 1/16" material under the hole. This has worked well for many flights.

I have not tried that but it seems like it should work. It will attenuate the tracker, though, but probably not by much.

I have not tried that but it seems like it should work. It will attenuate the tracker, though, but probably not by much.

Good point. I will not be painting the entire inside with the "anti static" paint only the PVC section. I imagine that the antenna and most of the electronics will be inside the FG nosecone.

Back