nose cone from plywood?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_Rip

Reaction score
I'm planning on turning my own nose cone, reducer and faring. Some people have been telling me to just use balsa (4" diameter stuff here) and then glass it. To avoid the complication of glassing it I was thinking about just cutting out a series of discs from plywood and then gluing them together and then turning on a lathe. Has anybody else ever done this? Pictures?

I'm planning on turning my own nose cone, reducer and faring. Some people have been telling me to just use balsa (4" diameter stuff here) and then glass it. To avoid the complication of glassing it I was thinking about just cutting out a series of discs from plywood and then gluing them together and then turning on a lathe. Has anybody else ever done this? Pictures?

you don't have to glass it. Just get some LAMINATING epoxy. not hobby 5 min or 30min. like West Systems, and "paint" it on. use a brush and coat it. I usually put 2 coats on but either way it works.

Ben

I've done the same thing with the pink construction foam. You can epoxy it together into a block with a dowel in the center. When you get the shape you need, coat it with epoxy the way Ben described.

That's going to be heavy--
Maybe that is OK for what you are doing, but it could also be bad.

Also, unless you have some VERY good plywood (no voids), you are probably going to end up exposing some cracks, holes, splits, and other goodies. Nothing that can't be fixed with some filler or spackle, just one more step in your process (versus simply buying a premade).

Note that plywood can often have weak bonds between plies. In a normal uses of full plywood sheets this seldom makes any difference. In your case, one badly located de-bond spot can separate the front of your NC from the rear. Bad news if this happens in-flight. You would be wise to drill the centers of your ply stack and bolt a piece of all-thread front-n-rear (or at least glue in a good wooden dowel through all stacked pieces).

You should check in with TRF's own 'Sandman' for any custom NC needs. He can make you one from balsa, basswood, and many softwoods and hardwoods. His prices are very reasonable, he is *fast*, and his service is excellent. (Gordon, do I get a discount on my next order now?)

I guess plywood is a silly idea. Some guys at my university used this method but only for a mold to make a fiberglass nosecone. I suppose laminating balsa with epoxy should do the trick. I'm sure sandman is good, and I have considered using him, but while I still have access to the machine shop at school I think I can make my own.

By the way, this is for a scale Ares I that I'm working on. Prefab nosecones not available :(. So I'm gonna end up doing a six inch long balsa top, probably with an aluminum (tubing to save weight) escape rocket on top. The details are going to be super fun! :D

Back