Nomex vs. Kevlar material

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guppzor

Reaction score
I have been having a bit of a look around for some material to make various recovery items from, such as 'chute protectors, deployment bags, shock cord sleeves etc., and came across an eBay seller (thanks to this thread) selling Nomex cloth (6oz), as well as a Kevlar/PBI blend cloth (4.5oz).

My question is:
Does anyone know how the two materials compare with one and other with regards to how effective they will shield or protect recovery components from heat or burning particles? Whilst the Kevlar/PBI cloth is lighter, would it be more effective, or is heavier Nomex the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

both are flame resistant

from what I understand the main difference between the two is kevlar is stronger. and nomex handles more heat.

Thanks stymye and msurocketgurl. I thought that was the case regarding the properties of the two materials. I am just trying to figure out if the lighter weight of the Kevlar/PBI cloth is going to reduce the effectiveness of the material compared to the 6oz Nomex.

Does anyone know what sort of thickness 6oz Nomex would be? Having never seen it, it's a bit hard to make comparisons :(

Thanks stymye and msurocketgurl. I thought that was the case regarding the properties of the two materials. I am just trying to figure out if the lighter weight of the Kevlar/PBI cloth is going to reduce the effectiveness of the material compared to the 6oz Nomex.

Does anyone know what sort of thickness 6oz Nomex would be? Having never seen it, it's a bit hard to make comparisons :(

I have bought 6 oz nomex from the guy on ebay and it is good stuff. It is a little lighter than jean material. I have made chute protectors and cord protectors from it and has worked great.

Ok, to start with, the information regarding heat and strength is correct. Kevlar is very strong and Nomex is very heat resistant. I have purchased both the Nomex and Kevlar PBI from this seller, who is a great guy, btw. In fact, I have purchased the Nomex around four different times. I prefer it to the Kevlar. It is not much heavier and I do not think it will alter your flight. I have used the Nomex on small model rockets, and also to protect my Skyangle Cert3 XL against 10 grams of powder. It works great. You cannot go wrong with it. One caveat, get a good pair of shears.....

Thanks again. I am getting some of the Nomex to give it a try. I don't need it just yet, but am slowly gathering supplies for when I do. Hopefully my wallet, and partner for that matter, won't notice :D

Thanks for the welcome msurocketgurl. Came across this forum whilst searching for some answers on this topic. Have been having a look over the forum, and it looks like I will have a lot of reading to do!

Back