NewWay Sky Spike Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGneissGuy

Reaction score
You ever go to your work area to start a build with every intention of taking a bunch of pictures along the way for a build thread, and then the build ends up going so smoothly and quickly that before you know it, you’re pretty much done and haven’t taken any pictures?

Well, with that in mind, here is my “build thread” of the New Way Sky Spike. Since I don’t have but two pictures, I’ll try to make it up with more description in the narrative and hopefully it won’t be too boring.

For those not familiar with them, NewWay makes square rockets and they are a lot of fun to watch at launches. This one is designed to resemble an old iron spike.

First, I’ve seen several NewWay rockets finished and launched at our club launches. I’ve seen some of the parts and components that go into the kits at our club meetings (he’s a member of our club). But this is the first kit I purchased and built. As you can see from the first picture, there is quite a bit in the packaging, including a few things I didn’t expect to see. In addition to the parts of the rocket, the kit includes a swivel for the parachute, an applicator for applying glue inside the body tube when installing the motor mount assembly, a small card stock ruler, and a couple different sheets of sandpaper and an emery board for finishing. The parachute is not assembled, but the shroud lines are pre-cut to length and there’s even a diagram showing how to tie the recommended knot for attaching the shroud lines. I especially liked that as I’m not very knot knowledgeable.

For those looking for a perfectly smooth finish, there will be some needed work as the body tube “spirals” are going to be tough. Because of how the square tubes are manufactured, there is actually some overlap area as the spirals. Personally, while I do try to fill spirals and such, I’ve never been overly concerned about things being perfect so I’m not terribly bothered by this. I did apply lightweight spackle down the sides of the body tube and sanded it down lightly, which looks like it will actually do a pretty good job on this. I also used the spackle on the nose cone.

As I mentioned, the build went quickly. All of the components fit very well and I really didn’t have to do any extra sanding on the centering squares or anything to get them to fit. Other than the centering pieces being squares instead of rings, it was a typical motor mount assembly with Kevlar tied around it as part of the recovery system. It was also a pretty standard motor mount installation, a little glue inside the body tube, install the mount so that the clip is flush with the aft end of the body tube. Apply a light fillet at the joint in the aft end.

This was followed by mounting the launch lug (also square) and while all that dried, I cut out, rolled, and glued the shroud, which was pre-marked on card stock. Then I slid the shroud onto the body tube (from the aft end), a little higher up the tube than where it would eventually be to give room to work on the next step. A support ring for the shroud was glued near the bottom of the body tube, then I slid the shroud back down into place with the bottom over the ring and applied glue to the joints.

A short bit of time was then spent installing the eye screw and nose weights on the nose, and sanding the shoulder for the correct fit in the body tube, and that was it. I was done and hadn’t taken any pictures. So I just snapped a picture of the completed spike and I went ahead and tied the shroud lines to the parachute so it is ready as well.

I have some hammered bronze left over from my retro Harbinger build, and plan to use that on this. I may also add some sparse ultra light splashes of black and a reddish orange color to give it a bit of an oxidized/weathered look. I’ll try to do better about taking pictures during the painting process.

skyspike1.jpg

skyspike2.jpg

I flew mine for the first time at our last club launch on a C6-5. I had added the additional nose weight that was sent to me by Newway, but it was still unstable. I'll be interested in your flight report.

I'm currently building the 4Square. They are pretty cool designs and the kits are comprised of very high quality components. I'm looking forward to getting a couple more kits.

I flew mine for the first time at our last club launch on a C6-5. I had added the additional nose weight that was sent to me by Newway, but it was still unstable. I'll be interested in your flight report.

I'm currently building the 4Square. They are pretty cool designs and the kits are comprised of very high quality components. I'm looking forward to getting a couple more kits.

Forgot about the extra nose weight. Well, I didn't forget to put it on, I forgot about it when I weighed my finished rocket and couldn't figure out why I was heavier than the weight on the packaging. I'm going to have to be careful on how thick my paint ends up being. It's pushing the max lift off weight of a C6 I think.

I wonder who wrote that article?

I would be willing to draw up a simulation for the New Way Sky Spike if you send me the detailed measurements; cone length and shape, body tube length, and tailcone length and base diameter.

Bruce

Back