Newb question on engine impulse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

Reaction score
Ok…got a ASP WAC Corporal. 12 Oz. Rocket…smallest recommended engine from ASP is an
E-16-4. Says 635 ft alt. Looked at thrust curve and it tells me this engine is 6 to 1 and slow off the rod…only E thrust curve recommends is E-30-6 9/1 ratio. So am I still ok with the E16?

Ok…got a ASP WAC Corporal. 12 Oz. Rocket…smallest recommended engine from ASP is an
E-16-4. Says 635 ft alt. Looked at thrust curve and it tells me this engine is 6 to 1 and slow off the rod…only E thrust curve recommends is E-30-6 9/1 ratio. So am I still ok with the E16?
TC’s default settings are kind of “HPR-centric”, the high-power folks tend to want much higher thrust to weight and more initial velocity than needed for smaller, inherently over stable model rockets and mid-power rockets. John Coker who created and maintains the site is a HPR guy - not that there’s anything wrong with that 😉. Running other commercial kits though TC will show other maker’s recommendation as too slow, if ASP says it’ll fly on an E16 I wouldn’t worry about it, owner Andy Jackson is a very experienced rocketeer his recommendations are valid.

TC’s default settings are kind of “HPR-centric”, the high-power folks tend to want much higher thrust to weight and more initial velocity than needed for smaller, inherently over stable model rockets and mid-power rockets. John Coker who created and maintains the site is a HPR guy - not that there’s anything wrong with that 😉. Running other commercial kits though TC will show other maker’s recommendation as too slow, if ASP says it’ll fly on an E16 I wouldn’t worry about it, owner Andy Jackson is a very experienced rocketeer his recommendations are valid.
Scott,
thanks for the input. Works for me.
steve

Scott,
thanks for the input. Works for me.
steve

6 to one is fine in lower wind condition.
5 to one is recommended minimum however a RSO may allow 3 to 1 under certain conditions.
Thrustcurve is fairly conservative. It wants 50fps off the rod/rail to be stable.
I have personally launched rockets at 40fps. Again under great conditions.

Back