New to reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
OK,I have to ask. Seems Im not getting this.. What does the second number on a RMS represent. I have the Aerotech RMS-18/20. So,whats the 20?

AFAIK,

the 20 in the RMS 18/20 refers to the max Newtons a reload can have in that particular casing, but that seems to be a rounded-off number.

The RMS 29/40-120 is designed to use reloads that range from 40N to 120N or thereabouts. Basically, the E to G range.

Does that help?

G.D.

AFAIK,

the 20 in the RMS 18/20 refers to the max Newtons a reload can have in that particular casing, but that seems to be a rounded-off number.

The RMS 29/40-120 is designed to use reloads that range from 40N to 120N or thereabouts. Basically, the E to G range.

Does that help?

G.D.
Yes ,it does help. Thanks.

gdiscenza has it right.

See the data from the published AeroTech catalog:

Greg

PS: I just realized that the Hobby Line RMS has been around for 20 years now.

AeroTech.RMS.Info.jpg

gdiscenza has it right.

See the data from the published AeroTech catalog:

Greg

PS: I just realized that the Hobby Line RMS has been around for 20 years now.
The deal is,I got the 18/20 kit from the July SS. I didnt open the package yet.It says "Do Not Open",so I cannt figure out how Im going to get to use them.....AAAAAA...Im Just kidding :rolleyes: Anywhoo-I did some looking around about reloads.Not much but some.But for whatever reason I just didnt find the info on what the numbers represented. Guess it was a case of "If ya stepped over it,ya still wouldnt see it" :eyeroll:

:D Both the D13 and D24 rock. The will fit in any Estes type 18mm motor mount. Put either in a Patriot and stand back. You will see, hear, and feel the difference. Blackpowder v AP, no contest! Buy lots of loads and fly them! :D

The RMS motors can be a little startling even if you are used to them. The sound of a D24 launching always catches me off guard even though I've seen dozens of them launch. You just don't expect that noise from an 18mm motor. Lots of fun!

Back in the good old days there were more choices for the 18/20. The C12 was my favored load for many stock Estes kits. The E27 was barely an E but I know lots of folks liked them for that few extra newtons of thrust. Aerotech has teased us with the idea of a D3 coming in the future however the silence coming from AT on this is deafening. The last time I posed the question of a D3 on the AT facebook page it was implied that it might come in the form of a plugged RC case.:cry:

My 18/20 doesn't get used too often these days but I still have a few loads in my box and I have a few rockets that were built specifically for the motor. Maybe at the next launch. It really is a cool motor, have fun with it.:cheers:

The RMS motors can be a little startling even if you are used to them. The sound of a D24 launching always catches me off guard even though I've seen dozens of them launch. You just don't expect that noise from an 18mm motor. Lots of fun!

Back in the good old days there were more choices for the 18/20. The C12 was my favored load for many stock Estes kits. The E27 was barely an E but I know lots of folks liked them for that few extra newtons of thrust. Aerotech has teased us with the idea of a D3 coming in the future however the silence coming from AT on this is deafening. The last time I posed the question of a D3 on the AT facebook page it was implied that it might come in the form of a plugged RC case.:cry:

My 18/20 doesn't get used too often these days but I still have a few loads in my box and I have a few rockets that were built specifically for the motor. Maybe at the next launch. It really is a cool motor, have fun with it.:cheers:
At this time I have the D13-7 reloads. You mention rockets designed for the 18/20. I had posted that I have the D13-7 and it is my first time owning an RMS.I asked about what would be a good rocket to use the D13-7 in. The Big Bertha was one.Well, I have the pieces parts from Semroc to build the Centurion. Seems to be close in size and weight.Any thoughts on this idea.Also,if this is a good choice,should I concider skining the fins and using epoxy when building it. What other rockets you would recommend? Thanks

When I have enough room I am going to launch my trusty Big Bertha on the D13 and D24. I have an Andromeda that I plan to launch as well, and the 18/20's should get it to a pretty respectable altitude. I saw an Estes Chuter-2 fly on a D13, and it was recovered....after a very long descent. I think they both have a 10 second delay option, so you can fly most anything with an 18mm mount....if you have the space to recover them.

The skinning and epoxy are not really needed. Use wood glue and you'll be fine.

Red Max eats up the 18mm D's and asks for more. The foam brick shuttle is sweet on the D13. Almost like it was made for it.

kj

At this time I have the D13-7 reloads. You mention rockets designed for the 18/20. I had posted that I have the D13-7 and it is my first time owning an RMS.I asked about what would be a good rocket to use the D13-7 in. The Big Bertha was one.Well, I have the pieces parts from Semroc to build the Centurion. Seems to be close in size and weight.Any thoughts on this idea.Also,if this is a good choice,should I concider skining the fins and using epoxy when building it. What other rockets you would recommend? Thanks

I have no experience with the Centurian but it looks like an excellent choice for use with the 18/20. I've flown Bertha with the motor and it is a great flyer with the D13. Any rocket that you would fly with a D12 ought to be great with the 18/20 and a few that fly on the C6 as well. I wouldn't stick it in a Wizard just because of the risk of losing it. There is really no need to beef things up for this motor, wood glues and your usual finishing techniques will be fine. The rockets that I built for this motor tend to be fat and draggy but that's just a matter of personal preference. I did build a high performance rocket I call the D24 special but to tell the truth I haven't launched it on anything bigger than a C6:eek:.

I don't build too many rockets from kits, I like to scratch build. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations for their favorite rockets to fly on this motor. Lawndartman mentioned the Patriot, seems like a great choice.

My friend Andrew Cooper uses this motor a lot. His upscale Streak (BT-80?)does quite well with a D24.

imo most lpr kits/rockets are a lot stronger than we tend to give credit to, that said if built with reasonable care it will do fine with wood glue. the biggest problem area will likely be the motor mount, a little epoxy here would not be a bad idea. papering the fins will help reduce landing damage as well as hide the grain. my .02
rex

I wonder how a Mars Lander would do on this?

Also, the nominal impulse limits of RMS motors have been exceeded in quite a few cases by newer reloads that have been created for them.

Last edited:
imo most lpr kits/rockets are a lot stronger than we tend to give credit to, that said if built with reasonable care it will do fine with wood glue. the biggest problem area will likely be the motor mount, a little epoxy here would not be a bad idea. papering the fins will help reduce landing damage as well as hide the grain. my .02
rex

I agree completely. I build a lot of 24mm Estes kits stock, balsa fins and all, and fly them on the 24/40 E & F loads. I've never had a problem with the up part of the flights. Transportation to/from the site and landing is where most fins get broken.

Back to the original question- the "second number" for the 18mm, 24mm and the 29mm 40-120 are somewhat superfluous. Each of these casings has certain reloads available for it and you can get a general idea of the total impulse by the letter designation of the reload. Or you can look up the specifics of that particular reload to see what its exact implulse is.

In the case of the larger cases, the second number actually relates to the length of the case and to some extent the maximum size reload that will work in it. For instance when I got my L1 I bought the 38mm/480 case and the 38mm/240 tube for it. I can use an H reload in the 38/240 and an I reload in the 38/480. There are other case lengths available for 38mm and would let me use different reloads because not all H reloads are 240 and not all I reloads are 480. I can use the same end closures with either of my tubes.

Back to the original question- the "second number" for the 18mm, 24mm and the 29mm 40-120 are somewhat superfluous. Each of these casings has certain reloads available for it and you can get a general idea of the total impulse by the letter designation of the reload. Or you can look up the specifics of that particular reload to see what its exact implulse is.

In the case of the larger cases, the second number actually relates to the length of the case and to some extent the maximum size reload that will work in it. For instance when I got my L1 I bought the 38mm/480 case and the 38mm/240 tube for it. I can use an H reload in the 38/240 and an I reload in the 38/480. There are other case lengths available for 38mm and would let me use different reloads because not all H reloads are 240 and not all I reloads are 480. I can use the same end closures with either of my tubes.
OK,I see Aerotech has the (W) and (T) motor reloads for the 18/20.
According to the attached copy and paste ,The (T) has more thrust than the (W)

Six Propellant Types
White Lightning™ (W)
A brilliant white flame, dense bright white exhaust and a throaty roar are the hallmarks of this popular propellant. Easy to track. Exciting to watch! White Lightning looks and sounds like actual sounding rockets and launch vehicles. Special effects professionals and aerospace companies specify the AeroTech White Lightning propellant to achieve realistic simulation.
Blue Thunder™ (T)
Produces a bright violet-blue flame with a minimum of exhaust smoke. These motors provide a higher level of thrust than White Lightning or Black Jack motors of the same total impulse. Blue Thunder is the perfect propellant for high lift-off acceleration.
Black Jack™ (J) and Black Max™ (FJ)
Provides the high visibility tracking of dense black exhaust. In addition to a distinctive lift off roar, Black Jack motors give your models lower acceleration and longer powered flight than White Lightning or Blue Thunder motors of the same total impulse. Black Max provides slightly higher acceleration than White Lightning Propellant.
Redline™ (R)
Distinctly different from its propellant relatives, Redline provides unique visual and thrust characteristics for larger airframes and performance oriented flyers. The proprietary AeroTech formulation imparts Redline with its signature vivid scarlet flame. Redline’s burning rate lies midway between that of White Lightning and Blue Thunder. Photos don't do justice to the "laser-beam" intensity and color of Redline… you have to see it to appreciate it!
Warp-9™ (N)
If you blink you’ll miss it! Displaying a prominent yellow-orange flame studded with “mach diamonds”, Warp-9 is AeroTech’s fastest-burning propellant. Originally developed for Orbital’s Pegasus® fin motors, Warp-9 is perfect when you need the highest thrust possible from a given motor size. Alternatively, when used in an “endburning” grain configuration, Warp-9 delivers unique thrust curve profiles such as that produced by the new G69N model rocket reload.

Guess I need to start using what I got and get into reloads and learning more about them.

Last edited:
correct...as far as that goes, I choose 1st for thrust profile and 2nd by propellent type. as I understand it blueThunder and Whitelightning are the easiest to ignite. I can't imagine how small the nozzle would be for an 18mm smokey :).

correct...as far as that goes, I choose 1st for thrust profile and 2nd by propellent type. as I understand it blueThunder and Whitelightning are the easiest to ignite. I can't imagine how small the nozzle would be for an 18mm smokey :).
The nozzle on a D13 is pretty small and if you use the supplied Copperhead igniters, the head with the pyrogen won't fit through so you have to put the igniter in during assembly.

Scotty Dog.... If you need an igniter that will fit through a D13 nozzle, come see me at the next CMASS launch.

The nozzle on a D13 is pretty small and if you use the supplied Copperhead igniters, the head with the pyrogen won't fit through so you have to put the igniter in during assembly.

Scotty Dog.... If you need an igniter that will fit through a D13 nozzle, come see me at the next CMASS launch.
Well thank you. I hoping to be there Sat.We will see.As we all know "Poop Happens"

Back