NEW SCRATCH BUILD- Clustered 2-Stage SAM rocket [unique booster chutes inside]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[POW]Eagle159

Reaction score
LATEST ROCKET FROM THE EAGLE WORKS!

-2-stage, Bt-80 based 3'' transition to Bt-60...47'' Tall, 15'' Booster
-Booster has 3 engine cluster, 2 18mm, and a core 24mm
-sustainer has a 18mm mount
-12'' gap staging
-Duel 11'' chutes on booster, 14'' chute on 2nd stage
-Empty weight of only 7.4 oz.
-Fully loaded its 10.1 oz

First flight will be on 2 A10s and a C11-0 to a B6-4

The booster chutes pack around the MM in the 2nd stage, The longer Bt-50 tube directs the gases around the chutes..

ANY QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED!

205.jpg

206.jpg

207.jpg

211.jpg

213.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what should happen if it stages as planed...
1. Booster separates
2. Chutes come out
3. Booster falls safely down

Last 2 is My SAM on the launch pad...

208.jpg

209.jpg

210.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

Very cool build,when are you going to launch her?

Really nice looking rocket, and I love the looks of a gap staged booster. I'm rebuilding the booster on my Rip-Roar into a 2x24mm motor mount. The tricky part will be redirecting the offset D12-0 to light the centered D12-5 in the sustainer. I will say that your booster chutes still might get singed as they deploy past the sustainer motor. I'm extending one of my booster MMT's to include a chute and recovery system protected by a cap of some sort. One booster will have a D12-0 and the other will have a D12-3 for a delayed deployment after the sustainer is gone.

Nice work, I like it- very slick. Anxious to see the paintjob, and the flight video!

That is freaking awesome! One question though. You said that the booster is 2x18mm and 1x24mm, but you said first flight will be on 2 A10's. Aren't those 13mm?

That is freaking awesome! One question though. You said that the booster is 2x18mm and 1x24mm, but you said first flight will be on 2 A10's. Aren't those 13mm?

Correct...,
I will be using adapters for the A10s to fin in the 18mm mounts.
The A10s are a little more powerful and are quite a bit lighter than A8s, and if I ever wanted to I could use B6s... But not the first flight.

The 3 engines will also be light by standard estes igniters, powered by a 24v electric scooter battery. This set up has worked perfect in the past.

Other notes:
The transition is made of card stock paper and made on https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=TRANS

The idea with the booster chutes is that either the booster falls off and quickly pulls the chutes out and away from the 2nd stage, OR the chutes are going to be pushed down on liftoff and right when the booster comes off, the chutes come out.

This will only work IF the 12'' gap staging works, I have made 3'', 6'' and 8'' gap stage rockets before that have not failed yet.
For the gap staging to work, There are 3 1/4'' holes in the Bt-50 tube just under the 2nd stage engine, and there are 2 1/4'' holes on the Bt-80 outer tube to let the air out. In the rear centering ring of the booster there are also 2 notches cut out to let additional air out and make way for the hot booster gases.
All centering rings are made by hand out of cardboard, I used a circle template and a lot of sanding to get them to fit.

I will try to get a burst shot of the whole lift off and possible staging with my camera.

I expect the rocket to get to around 50-75' then stage and go to....250-350'. I believe a B6-4 will be better than a B6-2 in the second stage.
Maybe even an A8-3 for the 2nd stage...? I'm just looking to see if it works this time.

Last edited:
I guess I forgot to put up the pics of the painted rocket....
Well, She flew today for a perfect flight!!! Its amazing to see what these little engines can do! With a 1 foot gap between engines, there was only a slight pause before the second engine light! and the Booster chutes didnt get fried, toasted, melted, burned, or destroyed!

No Launch Pics! :surprised: I dont know what my dad(Camera man) was doing! Im gonna have to stay on top of things next launch!:rant:

062.jpg

061.jpg

060.jpg

Attachments

• rockets+cousins 020.jpg
    rockets+cousins 020.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 27
  • rockets+cousins 018.jpg
    rockets+cousins 018.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Cool looking two stager.

Quick question - If you are gap staging, and therefore the booster is ejected by the upper sustainer motor coming to pressure, then wont the sustain engine be lit and have a flame coming out of it when the parachutes slide past it?

Cool looking two stager.

Quick question - If you are gap staging, and therefore the booster is ejected by the upper sustainer motor coming to pressure, then wont the sustain engine be lit and have a flame coming out of it when the parachutes slide past it?

Ah, You are quite correct... And this is the part I like to test. It happens so fast, when the booster falls off that I think that either 1.)The chutes dont have enough time to get melted, Or 2.)The chutes dont make any direct contact and stay far enough away from the second stage flame.

This is all just in my head though, I really dont know what goes on up there, but it somehow worked.

[POW]Eagle159;356793 said:
This is all just in my head though, I really dont know what goes on up there,
Spoken like a true "NO GUTS,NO GLORY "ROCKETEER"
Perfect!
Love it!

So here is a challenge (maybe a dumb one, but a challenge!). Put a camera on the booster facing nose ward and video the separation. May need to put a clear shield over lens to protect it from nozzle blast of sustainer.

Just a thought. Very cool that the chute worked. I think Marc_G was working on something similar.

So here is a challenge (maybe a dumb one, but a challenge!). Put a camera on the booster facing nose ward and video the separation. May need to put a clear shield over lens to protect it from nozzle blast of sustainer.

Just a thought. Very cool that the chute worked. I think Marc_G was working on something similar.

A booster camera would be cool, the only reason I wouldn't like the idea is that it adds weight to the rear of the rocket. If I ever got another camera I would love to put one on the booster looking up and one on the sustainer looking down...
But next flight I will put a camera looking down for sure!

Another thing to add about the gap staging.....
After inspection, the second stage motor mount was a little burned/singed and the nozzle of the engine was all blackened, so that means that even with a 12 inch gap between engines, there is still a lot of hot gas and burning BP. Maybe we can go BIGGER!;)

Back