New motors certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
TMT has recently tested and certified 2 new Quest single-use motors, the C18W and D20W. These are 18mm diameter composite propellant motors with 4,6, and 8 second preset delay times. The propellant is FW (Fast White), which is not exactly the same as White Lightning or Super White from Aerotech. They both have a bright yellow flame with abundant white smoke. In our hands, the C18W has 9.8 N.s total impulse, and the D20W has 13.8 N.s.

A brief note about performance figures. Some people have called my attention to the fact that the published TMT performance figures do not match the manufacturers catalog figures exactly. In almost all cases, the manufacturers run their tests at altitudes, ambient temperatures, and relative humidities VERY different from those at my location here in the American Southland. In all likelihood, neither set of numbers is exactly what you will experience at your favorite launch site. This is to be expected: Your results may vary. All that the manufacturers and TMT (and NAR S&T) can do is to tell you exactly how the motors performed in our hands. To expect a match down to the 3rd significant figure is unrealistic.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT

Attachments

• C18W typical.JPG
    C18W typical.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 61
  • D20W typical.JPG
    D20W typical.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 59
I flew some C18W demo motors at XPRS and they really make small Estes airframes accelerate briskly.
The flights reminded me of the old B14s, but the about double the total impulse and a nice bright flame.

Both of those look perfect for the BT50 fiberglass kits I have and the D20s should be great in my Trivecta if they ignite quick enough to cluster. I'll try them both when I can get them.

Last edited:
Temperature of the motor before ignition is an important factor that can change thrust and burn time quite a bit, with higher temperatures giving greater thrust and shorter burn time. So it's no surprise at all that different test conditions can give different results.

Alan, as always your work on TMT is greatly appreciated!

Best -- Terry

Hi, John. The D20W has a RASP page and .eng file but the C18W does not. Is there a .eng or .rse file for the C18W?
Here's one I made with TCTracer based on the data Aerotech posted in their open thread as well as this thrust curve:C18W typical.JPG

Attachments

• AT_C18W.eng
    926 bytes · Views: 4
Alan, can you provide or post the actual delay times from each test?

Alan, can you provide or post the actual delay times from each test?
The TMT section on the TRA website has been underutilized until now. Bill Riley, Steve Shannon and myself are working to get all of the TMT individual test session reports, the certification letters (which contain the information you ask about), links to www.thrustcurve.org listings and all potentially useful documents related to motor testing, such as the recently finished TMT Policies and Procedures document, and the blank form that manufacturers must fill out before submitting motors for certifiction, posted on that site. Keep your eye on the TRA website, the update is close!

Alan

The TMT section on the TRA website has been underutilized until now. Bill Riley, Steve Shannon and myself are working to get all of the TMT individual test session reports, the certification letters (which contain the information you ask about), links to www.thrustcurve.org listings and all potentially useful documents related to motor testing, such as the recently finished TMT Policies and Procedures document, and the blank form that manufacturers must fill out before submitting motors for certifiction, posted on that site. Keep your eye on the TRA website, the update is close!

Alan

That sounds great! The Q-Jets (both the originals and now these) have made me appreciate how much I appreciate the certification data on the NAR web site.

Alan

Yes, the TMT Announcements page is indeed a work in progress. You can check it out, forgive a bit of sawdust.

https://www.tripoli.org/TMTAnnouncements

Latest posts

Back