New Motor Certified September 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
The Tripoli Motor Testing Committee met on September 20, 2023 and certified the completely redesigned Q-jet by Aerotech F41W. In order to address reliability issues, they have replaced the clay nozzle with a phenolic nozzle, substituted regular White Lightning propellant for the Fast White Lightning previously used, changed the internal geometry of the propellant grains and adjusted the delay element lengths slightly. This updated version should be considered a completely new motor.
Total impulse is 47.65 N.s and the average thrust is 42.18 N. Here are a few graphs to illustrate the inherent variability in small motors in general.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT

Attachments

• All 12.JPG
    All 12.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 3
The Tripoli Motor Testing Committee met on September 20, 2023 and certified the completely redesigned Q-jet by Aerotech F41W. In order to address reliability issues, they have replaced the clay nozzle with a phenolic nozzle, substituted regular White Lightning propellant for the Fast White Lightning previously used, changed the internal geometry of the propellant grains and adjusted the delay element lengths slightly. This updated version should be considered a completely new motor.
Total impulse is 47.65 N.s and the average thrust is 42.18 N. Here are a few graphs to illustrate the inherent variability in small motors in general.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT
Was the original version of this motor ever put to market? I don’t recall my vendor having them or the AeroTech’s website listing them, but as always I could be wrong.

What size is this motor? Guessing from the thrust curve that it might be a 24mm... around 50 n-s.

What size is this motor? Guessing from the thrust curve that it might be a 24mm... around 50 n-s.
It should be 24x95 mm -- AT had a full-page ad on the back cover of the July / August issue of Sport Rocketry.

EDIT: Oops. John has listed the motor on ThrustCurve.org and it is 24x113 mm ...

HTH

-- kjh( and I want some 0' them )

Last edited:
Back