New mid-power scratch build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the OpenRocket file for my current build. Its a 1.6" diameter, 29mm bird that was inspired by the old Estes Saros. (Well sorta... Imagine a "real" Saros with a bigger upper stage and payload - Yeah, cheating to eliminate the transitions.:blush:) I'm also working on a 4" upscale Saros with all the transitions, so maybe you can give me a pass on this smaller version!

I've got the fins built and the tubes cut and slotted, ready to do the major assemby. Still have to roll the transitions for the 'nozzle' on the end from 1/64 plywood. Imagine the whole thing finished in the Saros paint scheme and you've got the idea.

I'll try to get some pics up on the scratch build area, but I thought I'd post this here first.

All comments welcome!

View attachment Hornet.ork

Last edited:
as it is currently...I would go with a G64-10...that said, you're looking at a long walk. a tracker would be nice. personally I'd go with a 24mm mount, but then I like to see my birds:).
rex

Thanks for the replies Rex, much appreciated! Yeah, I could be in for a bit of a hike with a G-64! I didn't realize I'd left the Motor in it on the OR file. My closest launch site only has a 1,500 foot waiver, so it will fly there with a 24mm adapter or 29mm E motors. That puts it around 900 feet according to OR, and that should cut down on post-launch travel (And splashdowns - the site is on an island!)

You are right about it being a bit overbuilt. There are a few reasons for that, some intentional, some just a matter of convenience. In no particular order the reasons are:

This is my first build after many years away from rocketry (Starting a business really eats up hobby time and budget!)and I'm using what I still have in the shop which is phenolic tubes, plywood, 29mm mounts, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have any couplers of the right size so I went with a stuffer tube and single deploy.

I wanted it to be strong enough for larger motors. The other launch site around here is out in the desert with a 25k waiver, and while it will never get near that, there is an opportunity to go pretty high, as long as you can get it back...

That brought up the idea of higher decent rates. I wanted it to be strong enough to use small chutes and maybe even a streamer. Part of the reason for the 'nozzle' is to help protect the fins on landing.

I used my old THOY Wasp as a sort of benchmark for this rocket, which is very similar in size and construction. I have often flown the Wasp on a G-64 with a 24 inch chute reefed just about to the canopy. Tough bird!

All that being said, I really liked your take on the design and I'm thinking I need to get off of my 'cheap seat' and just order up the parts for a lightweight version. Much more bang for the buck with 24mm motors and very versatile as far as launch sites go.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and for the feedback!

I did goof on the design file balsa nosecones are usually solid...that said; Semroc does not have an exact match for your current nose...however if you are not doing a scale bird the bnc 60RL is about an inch shorter at approx 8.4" and looks about right. figured you had your reasons, just wanted to show an alternative. and before anyone chimes in on how fragile balsa fins are...the apogee aspire has balsa fins and does mach+ flights, my wild bertha has 3/32" balsa fins (from a baby bertha) surface mounted flown on a G67...they survived just fine :) 500+mph.

Back