New Magazine Devoted to Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msm0202

Reaction score
Hi all. I want to announce the debut of LAUNCH, a new full-color, glossy model rocketry magazine that will combine an emphasis on the hobby's history with coverage of current events. A group of us have been quietly working on this for several months, and agreed to become a major sponsor at NARAM-48, where the premier issue will first be available. (We're the vendor mentioned on the NARAM site that will be officially announced during the competition. We had asked Matt Steele to keep it confidential until now but we all agreed that we should go ahead and announce this week).

LAUNCH will be published six times per year, beginning with the first issue at NARAM. That premier issue will be 56 pages and feature some of the most in-depth articles ever in model rocketry—including a 6,500-word Q and A style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a comprehensive look back at Orville Carlisle, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles. We will also feature a story on the current state of the rocketry today, and all the new technological developments. For those of you who can't attend NARAM, the issue will be available to all of you immediately afterward.

Future issues will also emphasize vintage model rocketry, but in every issue we will include the latest news from manufacturers and a roundup of the activities of the NAR. We will also include inspirational articles on rocketeers out there pushing the edge (including, I'm certain, some of you.) We are stressing that we do not consider ourselves in competition with Sport Rocketry, and in fact, we'll have an ad in their September/October issue and they will have one in our premier issue. LAUNCH will be a huge supporter of the NAR.

For more information or details about how to sign up for the first issue or a one or two-year subscription, you can visit our website: launchmagonline.com. You can also get advertising details there as well. While our main emphasis will be the print magazine, we expect the website to be equally strong as we go along. And in the coming days, you'll see excerpts on the website from our premier issue.

In case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, the editor of LAUNCH and a model rocketeer since 1968. Like some of you, I have been a NAR member off and on for years, and recently joined again. In the meantime, I was served as the editor-in-chief of several national home design magazines, including House Beautiful and Traditional Home, and I was a member of the start-up staff of USA Today (where, by the way, we did some reporting on model rocketry).

I encourage any of you who would like to contribute ideas, articles, photography or vendor news to contact us at [email protected].
(And sorry for such a long message.)

Cheers,
Mark

I already sent in my subscription payment!

Oh, boy! Another magazine!:D

Looks great! Best of luck to you! Think I'll have to subscribe as well!

Best Regards

Now there are two HPR and two LPR magazines.

Recently we have seen

Several new kit manufacturers
One new propellant manufacturer
At least one new hybrid manufacturer
Two new rocketry magazines
There are major launch events all over the place

Anybody who says rocketry is on the wane is seriously mistaken.

Yay Us!

Al,
Right on! And I should have mentioned that while we don't consider LAUNCH to be a competitor to Sport Rocketry, the same is true when it comes to Extreme Rocketry and Rockets. We will be an LPR magazine for the most part—and we view ourselves as a complement to Sport Rocketry. We will touch on high power at times, but not in the depth of Extreme Rocketry and Rockets. More power to them, pun intended!

The fact that rocketry is so widespread now had a lot to do with "launching LAUNCH" at this point.
Thanks again to all of you.
Mark

For the newbie BARs, what are the magazines available for our hobby... and where do I subscribe!!!!???? :)

Any plans to offer international subscriptions?

Phil

I sent in my 2-year subscription earlier today, couldn't resist!!! :D

Originally posted by Cougar93
For the newbie BARs, what are the magazines available for our hobby... and where do I subscribe!!!!???? :)

Other than this one, there is

Rockets, official magazine of Tripoli:
www.libertylaunchsystems.com

Extreme Rocketry, independent:
https://www.extremerocketry.com/

Sport Rocketry, official magazine of the NAR.
https://www.nar.org/SPR/index.html

Note that Sport Rocketry is only availible off the newsstand, as subscriptions are not offered (however, a subscription is part of the NAR dues if you join the NAR - the only way to subscribe).

Originally posted by conleyt
I sent in my 2-year subscription earlier today, couldn't resist!!! :D

I got a 404 error when PayPal tried to return to the vendor page, the link said something about thank you? Hopefully it went through OK. Are you getting the mailing address from PayPal? I was never asked for a delivery address.

David,

I just checked and your payment went through. And we have your email address. I didn't check to see if your mailing address was listed, but PayPal will automatically forward us your registered address if they didn't give you the option of filling it out. But just in case, please send your address to [email protected] and we'll make sure you're listed. (We'll also double check with PayPal to make sure the address screens are coming up.)
And finally, we will email every subscriber over the next few days to double check mailing addresses, so if we didn't have it before then, we'd certainly get it at that time.

Thanks so much for subscribing! Subscriber copies will be mailed on August 7, immediately after NARAM. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have in putting it together.

Mark

And... to answer Phil and Matthew's questions: Yes, by all means, we'll be taking international orders. Look for details on the website in the next couple of days. We've been trying to get answers from the U.S. Postal Service regarding international mailing, which is why it's taken a bit longer. And not only will we offer international subscriptions, but we also have a couple of intl. articles in the works, and we can always use more ideas and contributions.
Best,
Mark

I'm in!

When do you think the first issue will be mailed out?

LAUNCH taking international orders this is excellent news Mark.
I sent in my 2-year subscription, couldn't resist!!!
Best of luck to you! And the magazine.

Andrew Scott :D

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Now there are two HPR and two LPR magazines.

Recently we have seen

Several new kit manufacturers
One new propellant manufacturer
At least one new hybrid manufacturer
Two new rocketry magazines
There are major launch events all over the place

Anybody who says rocketry is on the wane is seriously mistaken.

Yay Us!

All we need now is another manufacturer to make BP engines like a B14, C5, and a long burn E and F.

Joe W

:kill:

Okay, I've just subscribed for 1 year. Probably would have subscribed for 2 years, but I've now spent $86 on rocketry stuff in the last 2 days... $106 would have been pushing it!
;)

Originally posted by JRThro
Well, I'm about to sign up for Netflix, too, and that's where *that* money is coming from.
;)
You shouldn't be wasting your time watching movies.. You should be PAINTING your rockets ;) :p

Originally posted by msm0202
I didn't check to see if your mailing address was listed, but PayPal will automatically forward us your registered address if they didn't give you the option of filling it out. But just in case, please send your address to [email protected] and we'll make sure you're listed.

Yes, my addy came up on the PayPal notification--I wasn't sure the vendor gets a copy of that or just some confirmation #. Really looking forward to seeing the first ish! I didn't buy Model Rockety until issue #3, and by the time I got around to ordering back issues, #1 was gone! I have nearly a complete collection:D

BTW, I like your sig!!

Mark,

Congratulations on your announcement of LAUNCH magazine. I am very anxious to see this new publication succeed and FlisKits is proud to be one of the advertisers with LAUNCH.

Good luck!
jim

Jim,
Thanks. We appreciate the support, and we're extremely glad to have FlisKits in the first issue and beyond. It means a lot to us.
See you at NARAM!
Mark

Originally posted by jflis
Mark,

Congratulations on your announcement of LAUNCH magazine. I am very anxious to see this new publication succeed and FlisKits is proud to be one of the advertisers with LAUNCH.

Good luck!
jim

How will the magazine be packaged and mailed? Depending on your answer will there be a "first class" postage option? I hate having a mailing label slapped on the cover of a magazine and sent through the US Postal System with no protection. You should always use protection... :D

I have a few new rules in my house now.

1. The couch is now off-limits. (Rule is in effect until I can thoroughly search for all lost change between and under cushions and may be reinstated at any time.)

2. I am now in charge of picking up all dirty clothes. (All money found in pockets becomes mine.)

Originally posted by Swampworks
I have a few new rules in my house now.

1. The couch is now off-limits. (Rule is in effect until I can thoroughly search for all lost change between and under cushions and may be reinstated at any time.)

2. I am now in charge of picking up all dirty clothes. (All money found in pockets becomes mine.)
Is this so you can subscribe to "Launch," or for some other reason?

Back