New Estes Launch Controller warning label

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
After 20 years, my old launch controller needs replacement. I had too many continuity problems this morning.

Recently I was given an Estes starter kit for my birthday. (Like I needed another starter set.)
I hadn't really looked at the newest controller until today.
Take a look at the warning label stuck onto the wire leads. It says "DO NOT REMOVE THIS TAG." Of course after I read it, I tore it off. It got in the way.
This is obviously a reference to the Quest Q2G2 igniters. Regarding safety and "unintentional ignition" I found it interesting. Of course Estes recommends using only their igniters.

This uses the newer safety key with the rubber piece at the bottom. You have to press down to smash the rubber at the bottom of the key to get continuity. Both the key and the button are held down for ignition. It does spring back up after you release it.

Also, note the shrink wrap around the micro clip connections.
This might be old news for many, I just haven't seen (or needed) a new LPR controller for years.

New launch controller 001.jpg

New launch controller 002.jpg

Interesting that they approach the continuity current problem with a warning label, rather than just swapping the lightbulb for an LED.

Incandescent bulbs are probably harder to get and more expensive than LEDs these days, anyway. Certainly more fragile and waste more power.:confused2:

That rubber bit on the safety key is quite annoying. You have to push it down VERY hard in order to make contact. Harder than a lot of kids are going to be able to do. At least it comes off easily with an X-acto knife...:)

The heatshrink on the igniter clips is long overdue.:clap:

I do keep one of these things (converted to LED indicator) in the bottom of my range box as a backup to my real controller. About the only time I ever use it is for ground testing ejection charges for my HPR rockets.

Last edited:
I do keep one of these things (converted to LED indicator) in the bottom of my range box as a backup to my real controller.

yes, that's exactly what i do, just incase my main fails. i must have about 5 brand new estes controllers that will never get used, even found it difficult to give them away.

You have to press down REALLY hard to get continuity on the new Estes controller.

Most times I just use the Quest controller instead. It has an audible continuity and the external battery connector (if you remembered to order one). You do fly clusters, right?

A note on the external battery cord: It will last longer if you make a small clearance notch in the plastic battery compartment and the cover will slide back into place with minimal effort. It's a very tight fit otherwise. I just used a small "rat tail" file to make the notch on mine.

That rubber bit on the safety key is quite annoying. You have to push it down VERY hard in order to make contact. Harder than a lot of kids are going to be able to do.

And some of us who are over 50 ... :(

Back