New Apogee Model is pretty cool !!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious as to why the sustainer stage uses a BT-60 main body tube instead of a BT-55 main body tube. It seems like the entire rocket revolves around the electronics bay, and it appears there's plenty of room on that sled. In other words, they could have designed that sled to fit in a BT-55 main body tube.

Probably something I'm missing...

I'm curious as to why the sustainer stage uses a BT-60 main body tube instead of a BT-55 main body tube. It seems like the entire rocket revolves around the electronics bay, and it appears there's plenty of room on that sled. In other words, they could have designed that sled to fit in a BT-55 main body tube.
For an electronics testbed, I'd rather have more room than less. Also remember that they're ducting the motor ejection charge around the avbay, which is another argument for a bigger tube.

Nice idea and should be scalable. The sled and motor mount as the same component and transfer the thrust with screws through the bodytube wall into the sled tube.

I think this is a great idea - a kit to "practice" composite staging. I was thinking of a similar build myself but more MPR-oriented with 29mm motor mount, rail buttons, etc.

They are? I guess I assumed this was a dual deploy rocket. Dunno where I got that assumption from, though.
Well Tim mentions testing dual-deploy altimeters as one of the missions, but "test" seems to be the operative word, not dual-deploy. Motor ducts around the avbay as backup, avbay is fixed so you don't need breakwires disconnecting starter wiring for staging tests.

Having been working for a long time on an airstart and staging testbed that I still don't have flying, I admire the focus and specialization displayed in this rocket. It's not the way I will go, but it has some intelligent solutions to what it's designed to accomplish. In a world where most kits - especially small ones - are more styled than engineered, it's neat to find an exception.

Edit: I'd used the term breakwire instead of what I actually meant, which was breakaway connections to the sustainer starter.

Last edited:

Probably something I'm missing...
Because the coupler is molded with a BT60 nose cone also. Just that simple.

This Ttv looks like a sort of "borrowing" of design points of the Estes So Long.
In what way? Aside from launching off a rod and having two stages, I don't see a single element of their external design in common, and of course they operate completely differently internally too.
dfce5bab94705f5014627165195f377f.image.700x700.jpg

9722_SoLong_Straight_2048x2048.png

In what way? Aside from launching off a rod and having two stages, I don't see a single element of their external design in common, and of course they operate completely differently internally too.

Meh. Opinions vary. I merely thought the designs look somewhat similar, not exact copies.

Anybody picked a 6V LiPo to run the Simple Timer, yet? Tim suggested that for 18mm Aerotech motors in the upper stage but didn't have one to recommend.

This looks neat. I might have to pick one up to try some smaller 2 stagers I can fly near home.

Back