New Android/iOS Featherweight GPS Tracker/Blue Raven software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think we're still some weeks away from the first public release, but today we had a new milestone with the new app pointing toward a tracker and providing a distance calculation. About half of the data and icons have some problems, and the channel configuration is not working correctly, but we'll get those straightened out over the next few weeks. Then we'll do a release and start adding more cool features, like a page that shows which channels are occupied.

IMG_1683.png

I think we're still some weeks away from the first public release, but today we had a new milestone with the new app pointing toward a tracker and providing a distance calculation. About half of the data and icons have some problems, and the channel configuration is not working correctly, but we'll get those straightened out over the next few weeks. Then we'll do a release and start adding more cool features, like a page that shows which channels are occupied.

View attachment 603979
I'm looking forward to not needing to keep track of 2 phones at launches anymore. Can't wait.

I had a feeling that my many years wait to purchase, and then purchasing 2mo ago was a good idea. I just had a feeling.

Great job Adrian, can't wait to see the end result. Stay the course.

View attachment 603979

How close to the original tracking App will it be. Ive always liked the Arrow with color and direction as well as the azimuth bubble to get a in air angle/trajectory. The distance and last known Lat/longitude. Will it be able to tell you if its connected or using last data like how the grayed out track info worked? Voice? Did i mention i really like the current app... lol. I assume you're going to move over lost rocket feature and other stuff.

Excited to see what you come up with. Awesome Adrian.

How close to the original tracking App will it be. Ive always liked the Arrow with color and direction as well as the azimuth bubble to get a in air angle/trajectory. The distance and last known Lat/longitude. Will it be able to tell you if its connected or using last data like how the grayed out track info worked? Voice? Did i mention i really like the current app... lol. I assume you're going to move over lost rocket feature and other stuff.

Excited to see what you come up with. Awesome Adrian.
I'm trying to preserve the best parts of the previous app, and extend it with major improvements.

I'm keeping the pointing arrow as-is.

The elevation bubble that shows the phone pointing elevation angle will be a cross-hairs, and the rocket's elevation will be represented by a rocket icon that rotates based on live data to show the flight path angle (like it does in the Blue Raven sim) and changes the icon for when it's under drogue and main (based on the vertical velocity)

It will track to the last available data, as before. I'm planning for it to also listen on a ground station coordination channel if your rocket lands outside of LoRa range so that it will automatically get data from the lost rocket feature if someone else is flying a Featherweight tracker, without having to ask around for it.

The icons above will show you whether your phone is connected to the ground station over Bluetooth, whether the ground station is connected to the tracker over LoRa, what the signal strength of that connection is, the packet success rate, and what the maximum GS-tracker range is based on the last distance and signal strength data. And separately, whether the tracker is getting good GPS data. I think this will help distinguish between loss of communication with the tracker and just the GPS losing lock temporarily.

Other planned new capability is a map view showing the rocket path and your path, and a channel selection view, where you can see what channels are occupied and who all the local Featherweight users are and what channel they're on. If it's your friend's rocket and you'd like to follow it, I'd like to make an optional alert when their rockets launches, with a button to monitor their flight with your ground station.

I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't been on the forum as much lately and have probably missed some of the most recent updates, but does this new app work with all existing Featherweight GPS units?

I'm trying to preserve the best parts of the previous app, and extend it with major improvements.

I'm keeping the pointing arrow as-is.

The elevation bubble that shows the phone pointing elevation angle will be a cross-hairs, and the rocket's elevation will be represented by a rocket icon that rotates based on live data to show the flight path angle (like it does in the Blue Raven sim) and changes the icon for when it's under drogue and main (based on the vertical velocity)

It will track to the last available data, as before. I'm planning for it to also listen on a ground station coordination channel if your rocket lands outside of LoRa range so that it will automatically get data from the lost rocket feature if someone else is flying a Featherweight tracker, without having to ask around for it.

The icons above will show you whether your phone is connected to the ground station over Bluetooth, whether the ground station is connected to the tracker over LoRa, what the signal strength of that connection is, the packet success rate, and what the maximum GS-tracker range is based on the last distance and signal strength data. And separately, whether the tracker is getting good GPS data. I think this will help distinguish between loss of communication with the tracker and just the GPS losing lock temporarily.

Other planned new capability is a map view showing the rocket path and your path, and a channel selection view, where you can see what channels are occupied and who all the local Featherweight users are and what channel they're on. If it's your friend's rocket and you'd like to follow it, I'd like to make an optional alert when their rockets launches, with a button to monitor their flight with your ground station.
And voice/vocal call out will still be included?

Appreciate the info @Adrian A so far sounds great! Really appreciate the info. Will be watching with great anticipation!

I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't been on the forum as much lately and have probably missed some of the most recent updates, but does this new app work with all existing Featherweight GPS units?

Yes.
And voice/vocal call out will still be included?
Yes, though maybe not in the first release.

I really hope so! The voice part of the experience is incredibly helpful and fun!
Thanks!

Yes.

Yes, though maybe not in the first release.

For me its a big way of tracking actually as i dont have to pay attention to the actual screen or any device. I can watch my flight while hearing how the up is going, if it hit apogee, and mostly coming down so i can hear it knowing its under drogue and main events. Higher flights especially is where i like this use when nothing is visible. I still feel atleast i know something while i watch the sky and listen.

I believe the voice is one of the BIGGEST selling features for the featherweight tracker.

Last edited:
Does this also mean tracking with an Android device will work in the new version???? Fingers crossed

Is the current tracking ap going to be maintained, or will this new one replace it completely? I'd hate to be without the voice callouts for a while.
iFIP will be maintained for a while. I'd like to think that we'll get voice working with the new app before the next 90 day refresh runs out.

Back