Never Been Done In Model Rocketry !...(?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that set up there I could see some cool fall away boosters and things with a timer and the locking mechanism.

Here are some scale references that should be helpful for your project. A couple of interesting things to note about this particular Beach Abort round:

* This was the first use of a production-representative capsule, and was finished in natural metal with a high-visibility orange stripe.
* Like other early Mercury capsules, this round lacked the large pilot's window and had in that location a small porthole.
* This was the only Beach Abort flight of a production-representative capsule, as earlier Beach Abort flights used two different versions of prototype capsules.

James

Thank you for posting those photos. Makes me want to draw a picture.

Peter Alway

Quick update..slow going but we're making progress.

Hoping you're keeping the mass of that thing in reason... remember it's gotta be lifted by rocket motors, along with the rest of the vehicle... plus you still need to keep in mind the CP/CG relationship... don't want to have to add noseweight to make it stable...

Just sayin'... Looks good! Later! OL JR :)

Hoping you're keeping the mass of that thing in reason... remember it's gotta be lifted by rocket motors, along with the rest of the vehicle... plus you still need to keep in mind the CP/CG relationship... don't want to have to add noseweight to make it stable...

Just sayin'... Looks good! Later! OL JR :)

I'm trying to keep the weight down but this cap is where every thing is going to happen, the tower will be connected to this and this will be pullinng the capsule up, this is where all the stresses from top and bottom are going to be. So far the battery weighs more than the whole cap. I'm going to build this for 24mm engines and there's going to be three. I'm not shooting for hight I shooting for show.

I was looking at the build pics of the Sat-V capsule with LES launch posted here and that one is made from wood and fiberglass, I know it has to weigh more than this one will. The only other thing that might be weighty is the tower it self, I haven't decided what I will use to make the struts. I could use paper but I believe the would weigh more than balsa. I'm really leaning toward using balsa for all the main struts and crossmembers. I'm also planning to rig it for a launch rod, right through the main body. It will run through the heat shield right along the internal body tube and come out right where the taper begins from the recovery section. I'm so close to having this part done and as soon as it is I'll be moving on to the tower. The capsule it self will be last, that part of the build will go quick. This antenna cape with locking plate will also be deploying the capsule chutes, wait till you see how I've got that figured out.

This has been QUITE challenging, it's easy to build some thing that has instructions but when you're making it up as you go along it's a whole different ballgame. My biggest problem is time to work on it, couple of hours here, couple of hours there. I've gotten brain burn from all the mulling over all the different ideas. Any way the march goes on.

I'm trying to keep the weight down but this cap is where every thing is going to happen, the tower will be connected to this and this will be pullinng the capsule up, this is where all the stresses from top and bottom are going to be. So far the battery weighs more than the whole cap. I'm going to build this for 24mm engines and there's going to be three. I'm not shooting for hight I shooting for show.

I was looking at the build pics of the Sat-V capsule with LES launch posted here and that one is made from wood and fiberglass, I know it has to weigh more than this one will. The only other thing that might be weighty is the tower it self, I haven't decided what I will use to make the struts. I could use paper but I believe the would weigh more than balsa. I'm really leaning toward using balsa for all the main struts and crossmembers. I'm also planning to rig it for a launch rod, right through the main body. It will run through the heat shield right along the internal body tube and come out right where the taper begins from the recovery section. I'm so close to having this part done and as soon as it is I'll be moving on to the tower. The capsule it self will be last, that part of the build will go quick. This antenna cape with locking plate will also be deploying the capsule chutes, wait till you see how I've got that figured out.

This has been QUITE challenging, it's easy to build some thing that has instructions but when you're making it up as you go along it's a whole different ballgame. My biggest problem is time to work on it, couple of hours here, couple of hours there. I've gotten brain burn from all the mulling over all the different ideas. Any way the march goes on.

I hear ya... I went through the same thing back when I was in high school and trying to figure out how to launch an 8mm film movie camera my folks had gotten for touring a time share once... The thing was well over a pound all-up, and was about 8-10 inches long, 4-5 inches around (with the handle/battery case folded up against it) and had a big glass lens sticking out the front of it. I went through probably a dozen booster designs trying to figure out how to build the thing with the lens pointing down... last iteration I settled on was something like the SLS or Energia booster-- basically a central "tank" payload section holding the camera, surrounded by booster rocket "pods" housing the motors to lift the thing... never actually built it though... Finally just got burned out on the whole project...

Now we can get those keyfob cams that are twice as good at 1/100 the weight...

I was just throwing out the comment about the weight as a reminder... sometimes it's SO easy to get tied up in the "how to make it work" that we forget "oh, this has to be light enough to fly too" kinda thing... sounds like you're coming along well with it! KUTGW!!!
later! OL JR :)

I used carbon fiber tube for the uprights on the Pad Abort and wood dowel for the cross pieces all linked together with braided Kevlar.Kevlarlooped.JPGKevlar.JPG

Last edited:
I like where this is going! :D 24mm motor are definitely a better choice, maybe the only choice for something with that many electronic and mechanical thingies in it. I can't wait to see the finished product! And more importantly, to see at least a still pic of it flying.
I know I've asked this before, but I'll ask again one more time just to be sure: Are you certain you can't make it to a TTRA Launch? :p

This has been QUITE challenging, it's easy to build some thing that has instructions but when you're making it up as you go along it's a whole different ballgame.

Couldn't agree more. The 1/60th scale Roman Trirerme (ship) model I'm working for school is a lot like that! :bang:

I used carbon fiber tube for the uprights on the Pad Abort and wood dowel for the cross pieces all linked together with braided Kevlar.View attachment 96171View attachment 96170

Thanks for the pics, deffinantly usefull. Carbon fiber tubes, I jus had an epiphany...fishing rods! I think what I'll do is make one from paper and one from balsa and see which one is lighter and go with that.

I can't wait to see the finished product! And more importantly, to see at least a still pic of it flying.

Still pics...I'll be getting film footage!

I know I've asked this before, but I'll ask again one more time just to be sure: Are you certain you can't make it to a TTRA Launch?

Any day but Saturday I'd be there with bells on. After spending some time with Mike and seeing his super gliders I would like to see the other things people are flying.

Thanks for the pics, deffinantly usefull. Carbon fiber tubes, I jus had an epiphany...fishing rods! I think what I'll do is make one from paper and one from balsa and see which one is lighter and go with that.

Sort of along the same thinking.

I went to my local sporting goods shop and got an armload of broken carbon fiber arrow shafts.:wink:

FREE!! Best price ever.

Arrows come in a lot of different diameters.

I think it'd be cheaper to get the CF from a hobby shop or online supplier than cutting up fishing poles... but it bears checking into...

Later! OL JR :)

Ok..the antenna cap is a done deal. I've tried it out a few times and every thing seems to be working great. Turn on the timer wait for activation, jerk the BT up simulating launch, the locking tabs retract dropping the BT clean.

IMG_1150.jpg

I got the covers done, keeping it simple by glueing small squares of balsa to each corner and making small tabs fron card stock and attaching them to the balsa squares. Esentially making holding tabs.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

On the main plate I made curved balsa blocks that go from the top surface of the locking plate to the bottom of the upper foam board that holds the electronics. I then made a card board ring and used four long, small diameter screws through the ring and through the bottom of the locking plate to hold everyhting together, and four tiny scews to hold the paper wall to the balsa blocks. If you klick on the pic after pulling it up you can enlarge and see the tiny screws on the side.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

The locking plate is ready to rock, next up is capsule chute deployment.

I will be using two tubes inside the main BT, the chutes will be loosly incerted inside the tubes,

IMG_1155.jpg

there will be a pull plate in each tube under the chute. The plates will have a string attaced that will run up the tube to two eyelets screwed into the bottom of the locking plate. I'll be installing a plate inside the BT just under the tubes which will have the shock cord attached, both chutes will be attached to the shock cord. When the locking tabs retract deploying the tower, the antenna cap will pull the strings, pulling the plates up the tubes pulling the chutes out....if everything goes as planned. Will be working on this tomarrow.

Wow, this is getting complicated! I hope it all works when it really matters!
Gotta love those paper towel tubes, BTW. ;)

This is a terrific build thread! I'm wondering if this engage and release mechanism is something I could build or use someday. It does look complicated. I was going to recommend CF arrow shafts for construction material, but these may be too large for the model that is planned.

Made good progress today! Got the capsule chute deployment system complete. There was a minor design change, I decided to go with just one holding tube instead of two. I first built the holding tube and pull plate.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

Using 1/4" shock cord glued and strapped to each side of the tube looped over the top, chutes attached to the center of cord loop, tuck both chutes loosly inside tube.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

Also finnished the recovery section cover.

IMG_1166.jpg

Made a short video of prep and operation.

[YOUTUBE]b1XksnlAqBI[/YOUTUBE]

I will be using two tubes inside the main BT, the chutes will be loosly incerted inside the tubes,

View attachment 96402

there will be a pull plate in each tube under the chute. The plates will have a string attaced that will run up the tube to two eyelets screwed into the bottom of the locking plate. I'll be installing a plate inside the BT just under the tubes which will have the shock cord attached, both chutes will be attached to the shock cord. When the locking tabs retract deploying the tower, the antenna cap will pull the strings, pulling the plates up the tubes pulling the chutes out....if everything goes as planned. Will be working on this tomarrow.

Your "pull plates" better be "pull pistons", because without some sides on them the flat plates will probably just turn sideways and fall out without taking the chutes with them... make sure they're fairly loose in the tubes but cannot jam...

Your "pull plates" better be "pull pistons", because without some sides on them the flat plates will probably just turn sideways and fall out without taking the chutes with them... make sure they're fairly loose in the tubes but cannot jam...

Way ahead of ya bud. Already experianced exatly what you'r talking about. When I first tried it out it worked a couple of times then started doing what you said but if you look close you can see a small tube glued to the center of the plate with the string running through it. After attaching the tube it didn't turn side ways any more, and inserting two chutes also helped. However I didn't think to make a piston out of it but I think I'll add a strip of paper around the plate for insurance, that will deffenantly keep it strait. Thanks for the tip.

I'll be starting on the tower now, I want to makt it removable, I'll be experimenting with hinging the V supports that attach to the base ring, I would like to hinge them where they connect to the upper struts. It's hard to explain just exactly what I have pictured in my head but just like the locking plate and the whole antenna cap system I just started building and it comes as you go along.

Last edited:
So...I thought about using parts from the original tower from the 1/4 Merc capsule, I disassembled and played around with it a bit.

IMG_1167.jpg

Deffinantly NOT gonna getter done. Paper struts are not going to work...too flimsy and to get any length I would have to splice at least two together. So the next step will be looking around for the right material. Seeing as ther's no sporting goods store around close I'm going to have to improvise. The search begines.

Going up! All be it very, VERY slowly. So I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up some wood rods and dowls. After experimenting a bit and feeling the weight I went to Wally world and picked up a few alluminum arrows...much lighter.

IMG_1169.jpg

It took almost a week to make the base ring of the tower, using burch wood and cabinet board backing. Used wood dowls for foundation frame.

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

Cut the arrows to size for the three main struts.

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

Got started on the engine mounts. Just a little rough fitting, did manage to complete the engine mount plate.

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

Going to work on the main body now, at this point I'm concintrating on weight reduction at all points possible, I did what I could in the construction of the locking plate and tower but there was only so much could be done. I'm installing a launch lug tube that will run from the retro pack through the top of the main body.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

Been out of town for over a week, got back Teus and got back to work. Got the first row of shingles done in about half a day. Two more rows to go. Once the shingles go on it REALLY starts to look like something.

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Work came to a halt this week as I was down and out with viral pnumonia, WICKED STUFF! Got damaged rib cartelage from the coughing spasms. Any way today was the first time I felt like doing any work so I finnished the shingles, they were a piece of cake at this scale. Next up is the heat shield. Not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, such a broad space, it's deffinantly going to need some sort of internal struchture or it will cave in when hitting the ground, we'll figure it out.

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Back