• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found NEEDED ASAP; 9” fiberglass tube (and coupler) for Rocketry Team

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyhager3

Orange is best color, NAR/TRA L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For context, I’m on a division of my school's rocketry team, where we have been contracted out to build and fly a payload. So this is on behalf of our program, as we need the tube. (Cyclone Rocketry at Iowa State)

We have encountered some supply chain issues (CW moment...), and it’s unlikely we will be able to get the one we ordered. We are custom-machining everything, so whatever you got should work in terms of diameter, we just have to be able to shove two 98mmt's in it. The CAD says that the tube is supposed to be 72" long, but I can assume we have a little bit of wiggle room in terms of being too short, and obviously, we can cut it shorter if need be.

It looks like we also need a 9" coupler, CAD says 10".

Our deadline to fly the rocket is November 11/12, so the faster we get it the better.

If you have any sort of leads or thoughts, please let me know. Ask whoever you can, we really need this tube. And we need the tube to actually exist, and already be made.

If you have any leads, PM me, and I'll put you in contact with someone higher up in the team to deal with the financial side of it, along with some other logistical things.

I know these are rare, but please, if you have something, just let me know.

Thank you,
- Jacob Gray

Last edited:
For context, I’m on a division of my school's rocketry team, where we have been contracted out to build and fly a payload. So this is on behalf of our program.

We have encountered some supply chain issues, and it’s unlikely we will be able to get the one we ordered. We are custom-machining everything, so whatever you got should work in terms of diameter, we just have to be able to shove two 98mmt's in it. The CAD says that the tube is supposed to be 72" long, but I can assume we have a little bit of wiggle room in terms of being too short, and obviously, we can cut it shorter if need be.

Our deadline to fly the rocket is November 11/12, so the faster we get it the better.

If you have any sort of leads or thoughts, please let me know. Ask whoever you can, we really need this tube. And we need the tube to actually exist, and already be made.

If you have any leads, PM me, and I'll put you in contact with someone higher up in the team to deal with the financial side of it, along with some other logistical things.

Thank you,
- Jacob Gray
I believe Ken Allen at Performance Hobbies has 9” phenolic tubes that you could glass yourself with a few wraps or with a Soller Composite sock

For context, I’m on a division of my school's rocketry team, where we have been contracted out to build and fly a payload. So this is on behalf of our program.

We have encountered some supply chain issues, and it’s unlikely we will be able to get the one we ordered. We are custom-machining everything, so whatever you got should work in terms of diameter, we just have to be able to shove two 98mmt's in it. The CAD says that the tube is supposed to be 72" long, but I can assume we have a little bit of wiggle room in terms of being too short, and obviously, we can cut it shorter if need be.

Thank you,
- Jacob Gray
Could try giving Curtis at composites warehouse a call and see if he has them in stock. Beware, if he doesn't, you probably will never get the tubes and he will just take your money. Pretty shady dealer but he does make a massive selection of tubes and 9in is one of the ones he makes.

Could try giving Curtis at composites warehouse a call and see if he has them in stock. Beware, if he doesn't, you probably will never get the tubes and he will just take your money. Pretty shady dealer but he does make a massive selection of tubes and 9in is one of the ones he makes.

If they can get a hold of Curtis, confirm he has what they need, and just tell him they're driving
to Pennsylvania ASAP to pick up the items. NC to western PA is an easy drive. Pay him when
they get there.

I should probably have said our original source was Ken and Curtis at CW, and they told us that they don't know if they can make it in-time, because of some issues. However, if you want to go buy something from CW, I'd say go through a vendor, or Ken at performance hobbies, because they actually were making the tube, they just ran into some complications.

If they can get a hold of Curtis, confirm he has what they need, and just tell him they're driving
to Pennsylvania ASAP to pick up the items. NC to western PA is an easy drive. Pay him when
they get there.
there's still people waiting for parts they ordered and paid for 5 years ago

Last edited:
there's still people waiting for parts they ordered and paid for 5 years ago

I think I am 5-for-5 on orders with Curtis. One kit order, and the rest assorted parts orders.

All received within 1 to 2 weeks of placing the order. The kit took about a month but that
was one of those flash sales he had.

And Yes - maybe I am the exception to many other people's experiences with Composite Warehouse.
But I do email or call him before I place an order.

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Should we get another thread going?
LET'S NOT... We all know the story line....

This team hopefully learned a couple lessons 1) Verify the history of vendors in your supply chain. 2) Don't pick and design around "odd size" parts that "lock" you into one supplier. (Optimization can come with a heafty price.)

Back