need weight estimate for tubular nylon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paparoof

Reaction score
I'm working on a rocksim design. the total weight of the rocket didn't make sense to me, so I started poking into each item's "calculated component mass". I found it was calculating 24 ounces for 120" of 5/8" tubular nylon. I switched it to using 9/16" tubular nylon and the calculated weight dropped to 1.8 ounces!

Clearly something is afoul here and I'm not sure I should trust the 1.8 ounces either. So what's a realistic number?

Particularly with larger rockets, where database mass value errors get compounded due to the scale of the build, your best bet is to ignore the weights until after the rocket is complete. I'm assuming that your working with a HPR rocket because of the recovery harness materials you describe.

I say "ignore" the mass values - I know the temptation/need/obsession to sim the rocket early on is there. True, you'll get some ballpark sim estimates.

However - this is what I do and I've been quite pleased with the results.

"Build" the rocket in rocksim like you normally would. Don't mess with mass overrides for individual components, just go with whatever the database spits out.

After you've built the actual rocket, finish it (paint and all), and basically prep it for flight (minus motor,) weigh it on a scale. Then balance it horizontally and find the Cg in flight-ready configuration.

Then, go to "mass override" for the entire rocket and force in the physically measured mass and Cg values. Re-run the sims after this data is entered, and voila!

In my experience, particularly with "conventional designs" (i.e. those without tube fins, ring fins, or other configurations that are notoriously tricky for rocksim) you'll get some very good sim data to take to the field for motor/delay selection and predicted altitudes for various motors. Granted, you need to give the sim the appropriate launch conditions (a resonably close temperature and humidity, wind conditions {which I generally set as "breezy"; 8-14 mph wind})

I guess it's important to state that you need to take RockSim simulation data for what it's worth. No matter how "accurate" you set up the sim, if a given motor simulation predicts a peak altitude of say 1500', you're probably not gonna hit exactly 1500' in practice. If you go with the methodology I describe above, you'll be close enough that your flights should be successful and close enough (sometimes very close) to predicted that you'll be pleased.

Per this site: https://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=169&parent=193&level=2

Shipping weight (which will over estimate the actual weight) runs 12lbs for 1/2in x 400yd which comes to .16 oz per foot. For 9/16in x 325 shipping weight runs 13lbs and the per foot weight calculates as 0.21 oz - these values should be close. 5/8in x 250 roll weighs in at 14lbs and calcs as .30oz per foot.

10ft x 5/8 @ .30oz/ft = 3oz; I suspect RockSIM meant 2.4oz - perhaps a look in the materials database would show a misplaced decimal. Check with Apogee on this one.

10ft x 9/16 @ .21oz = 2.1oz so the 1.8oz from RockSIM is probably pretty close.

BTW - That site also shows a net shipping weight of 1 oz per yard when ordering in small quantities which seems to be overly heavy but not unreasonable for their purposes. I have seen other sites that quote net shipping weights of 1 oz / yard for even 1 inch wide tubular nylon which leads me to think that these numbers are inflated vs. the numbers above.

One more item: I always pre-SIM things using RockSIM's weight unless I have a scale handy. If something looks wrong I fine tune it. I find it helpful to narrow down some design aspects before obtaining materials. Once you bought 'em you own 'em and if the design changes your stuck with the materials until you use them. Not simulating until later works well if you never make design changes during the simulation process or if you build a lot of rockets from similar components - but that doesn't match my building style or budget.

Back