Need help with the ESTES Saturn Skylab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki

Reaction score
Have just started the Saturn Skylab build. I'm looking at the instructions for assembling the engine mount and I don't see any reference made for a thrust ring to be installed. Is this a mistake in the instruction or is there a thrust ring needed?

Have just started the Saturn Skylab build. I'm looking at the instructions for assembling the engine mount and I don't see any reference made for a thrust ring to be installed. Is this a mistake in the instruction or is there a thrust ring needed?
Look ahead in the instructions and see if it has you put a tape thrust ring on the motor. Lots of Estes 29mm powered rockets have no internal thrust ring and have you do a tape thrust ring, because they know people are going to stuff Aerotech motors of different lengths in them.

Skip ahead to the section on preflight prep. There you'll see reference to the placement of a tape thrust ring on the aft end of the engine. This is how the engine engages with the twist-on retainer.

It seems silly at first, but is entirely effective and affords the modeler the convenience of a wider range of physical motor sizes.

Edit: Antares beat me to the answer. He is wise.

Last edited:
One other small note, if you don't have some already, I HIGHLY recommend buying a roll of 1/4" thick masking tape to make thrust rings with. It's a lot less hassle and waste than using thicker tape and then cutting it down. Rolls can be had for a few dollars on Amazon if you don't have a local supplier.

Thanks. guys. I'm glad you have clarified this for me. I'm using a foal-lined 29mm engine tube, I'm sure this won't make a difference.
If anyone else has some tips to help me out please let me know. Thanks again.

Back