Need help with signal converter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgbert

Reaction score
I bought a couple signal converters for 4-20mA transducers to 0-5v arduino input. We built a motor test stand and are going to use the transducers to log pressure and force with arduino uno.
I need some help on wiring. I have a 2 wire, 4-20mA pressure sensor, powered with 24vdc power supply. Planning to connect as shown to the 2 pin side.
Connect gnd to 0v and converted to analog in to arduino. The Vcc is what is confusing. Can I power it with 5v arduino supply, or does it need 24vdc?
Thanks,
Dawgbert

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-202124_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-202124_Chrome.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20221115-202106_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-202106_Chrome.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20221115-201944_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-201944_Google.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 0
The sensor probably needs 24 vdc to operate. You can place a precision resistor in series, then measure the voltage across it to get an easy current-to voltage conversion. The value of this resistor is left as an exercise for the reader.

The sensor probably needs 24 vdc to operate. You can place a precision resistor in series, then measure the voltage across it to get an easy current-to voltage conversion. The value of this resistor is left as an exercise for the reader.
I'll have to power the sensor with 24v to get the 4-20 mA output. I was thinking that I'd be powering the converter with 24v also, but reading around the internet it seems vcc is 5vdc.
-Dawgbert

Yes, that is the answer.

OP- Think of Ohms Law and how Resistance and Current relates to Voltage.
Hint:
The sensor's output is a Current. The ADC input measures a Voltage.

Thanks for the input on resistors but I am trying to wire the converters correctly. The instructions are not clear as I'd like. We can wire the 4-20mA sensor with a 24vdc power supply to converter, and wire the 0-5v output on converter to the arduino 0-5 input. The problem is do I connect the converter Vcc terminal to 24vdc or 5 vdc?

The sensor module and ADC electronic need their own power supplies at the Voltage they require.
24V for the sensor and probably 5V for the ADC circuit. Since you have given us nothing as to the ADC I am guessing 5V since the ADC input range is 0-5V.
What does the Convert's Data sheet say as to Voltage?

The 4-20mA goes to a resistor that converts the 20ma to 5V by Ohm's Law.
The common (ground) of each connect together and to the other end of the resistor.

I guess I'm missing something here or the photos of the data sheet are not transferring.
There is a terminal labeled VCC on the 4-20mA to 5vdc signal converter circuit board. This VCC terminal is located on one end of board with 0-5vdc output. Opposite end of board has 4-20mA input connections, photo of data sheet attached.Screenshot_20221118-203650_Chrome.jpg

How about posting a link to the data sheet so I can read the full context of this 'data converter'.

From what you posted I can only guess at what this means.
It does sound like there is an active circuit in this converter that transforms the 4-20ma into a 0-5V signal and seems to also have filtering (10ms response time).

Latest posts

Back