Need Help Please !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunar

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I have a few quick questions.

1. How do you make a saftey switch using a phone Jack? or bannana plug?
2. Does anyone know how to wire a Rotary Selector Switch? I am trying to wire a 3 launch pad controler using a rotary selector switch.
3. Where can I purchase a keyed saftey switch.

Thank you all in advance, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Regards, :y:
Lunar

First of all, welcome, Sounds like you have a project ahead of you. Next, how much experience do you have with electronics and soldering? This is a good project to start learning with.

You can do a search on this site for launch controllers and find a wealth of information. Also https://www.rocketreviews.com has several designs.

1) On a standard Mono phono jack, there are two conenctions. On the jack, one wire goes to each lug, on the plug one wire is connected to both terminals, shorting it out. When it is inserted to the jack, the current can then flow through the shorted (safety) plug and to the rocket's igniter.

2) That depends on the rotary switch that you have. Usually the lug closest to the middle of the switch is the wiper and the lugs around the outside are the contacts, but that varies with the manufacture and style of the switch. The best way is to get out a ohm-meter and measure the resistances when the switch is in different positions to determine how it is connected.

3) If you have a removable safety plug, why would you need a keyed switch? they both perform the same function, so either would work, and both would be overkill. Jameco carries several versions: www.jameco.com, and search on "key switch" to see several versions.

Mike

Hey Guys.

I have a few quick questions.

2. Does anyone know how to wire a Rotary Selector Switch? I am trying to wire a 3 launch pad controler using a rotary selector switch.

Lunar

Hey Mike

Thanks for the reply it really is appreciated.
I use to launch rockets years ago with my daughters, a lot of great memories.
Now my grandchildren want to have a go at it. I dug out my old storage box and found a control launcher that I started years ago, and never finished. I am not real savy on electronics but usually can get by with a lot of help.
I will do the phone jack safety switch and start to mess around with the rotary switch to see if I can make it work. The control launch pad has two power sources to choose from a 9 volt and a 12 volt system. I also have 3 launch terminals to activate, that's where the rotary switch comes in.
For now I only have one launch terminal hooked up.

Thanks again for all your help. :smile:

Keep them soaring,
Lunar

Hi Lunar,

Glad to hear of your return to the hobby and interest from the little ones!

While I fully support your idea of creating your own launch controller (I love doing stuff like this too!), keep in mind if you have a hobby lobby or Micheal's nearby, they sell starter sets with one or two rockets in there as well as a pad and controller, all for about ~20-$30. Factor in a 40% coupon and for almost nothing you get rockets, pad, electronics... it's a good starter deal to tide you over while working on your own custom controller.

Keep up the enthusiasm and let us know how it goes!

Marc

Here ya go...

ShortedPhonoPlugSafetyShunt.jpg
RotarySwitchWiringDiagram.jpg
Auto supply is your best bet... make sure it's a switch that CANNOT be left "turned on" with the key removed!

Lunar

Yer welcome! OL JR :)

Hey Mike

Thanks for the reply it really is appreciated.
I use to launch rockets years ago with my daughters, a lot of great memories.
Now my grandchildren want to have a go at it. I dug out my old storage box and found a control launcher that I started years ago, and never finished. I am not real savy on electronics but usually can get by with a lot of help.
I will do the phone jack safety switch and start to mess around with the rotary switch to see if I can make it work. The control launch pad has two power sources to choose from a 9 volt and a 12 volt system. I also have 3 launch terminals to activate, that's where the rotary switch comes in.
For now I only have one launch terminal hooked up.

Thanks again for all your help. :smile:

Keep them soaring,
Lunar

Sounds like a neat project. You only need the 12 volt power source though... the 9 volt isn't much use. What are you using for a power source?? I recommend a car battery jumper pack-- they're a bit expensive off the bat, but they do double duty riding in the trunk for cold days when the battery is sluggish or if someone leaves the lights on in the car and kills the battery. Plus, they can provide PLENTY of power to launch rockets all day long without a hiccup.

You didn't mention what sort of continuity indicator you're using. I highly recommend that you use a low-current safe indicator like a piezo buzzer or an LED indicator, available from Radio Shack pretty cheap. Either will restrict the current passing through them sufficiently to allow you to use low-current ignitors like the Quest Q2G2's, most HPR ignitors, and such. They also work well for Estes type ignitors.

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Hey Marc G and JR

I really appreciate the information that you guys submitted.:cyclops:
I live in SW Virginia (Blue Ridge Mtn.) There isn't a Hobby Lobby around the area. We mostly depend on Mail Order. I got the Phone jack hooked up and it works great. Thanks JR for the diagram on the Rotary Switch. I will tackle that deal later this week. The rotary switch that I have has two poles in the middle with 12 poles around the outside. I guess the principal is the same as your diagram? AS far as the continuity light I installed a small light from Radio Shack. When I push the fire button the light goes out. I believe that's correct isn't it? My grandson stopped by yesterday to drop off some cookies, (God I love that kid) he knows the main food group already, anyway, when he saw the launch control I have been working on the smile on his face made it all worth it. That made my day. Now on to building some rockets
Thank all of you so much, for all your help. I will keep ya posted on how things are going.

Keep them soaring,

Lunar

Back