Need Concept Scale Model idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Saturn is just a bunch of tubes? Blasphemy!!!

Might as well say Estes is just a toy company, blasphemy!

Might as well say Estes is just a toy company, blasphemy!

Sorry, but we do consider ourselves a toy company, just cooler type toys that have to be assembled\built for the most part.

Let me rephrase myself, I do NOT wish to make a concept scale model that is comprised of cylindrical tube like objects for the majority of it's construction.

John Boren

Have you considered the SA-43 Hammerhead fighter from Space: Above and Beyond?
I think the USS Saratoga SCVN-2812 would require clear fins to fly.

Want a real challenge? Build an accurate scale Tiamat. Historically important because it was 1) the first rocket fired from Wallops Island, and 2) the first American guided missile (rocket). If you can make a 2-stage version, and make it function propulsion-wise as the original, you'll be an Official Rocket Lord. Look at the pictures; not a straight line. The original had the solid rocket motor inside the body, located at the center of gravity, so that as the rocket propellant burned up the CG would not change. There's not a whole lot of data about it, but I think with enough digging on teh intarpipes, you can find enough pictures and documents to get you going. I tease hornet driver about building this, but like I say, this will be a real challenge.

tiamat.jpegtiamat 2 stage.jpg

Want a real challenge? Build an accurate scale Tiamat. Historically important because it was 1) the first rocket fired from Wallops Island, and 2) the first American guided missile (rocket). If you can make a 2-stage version, and make it function propulsion-wise as the original, you'll be an Official Rocket Lord. Look at the pictures; not a straight line. The original had the solid rocket motor inside the body, located at the center of gravity, so that as the rocket propellant burned up the CG would not change. There's not a whole lot of data about it, but I think with enough digging on teh intarpipes, you can find enough pictures and documents to get you going. I tease hornet driver about building this, but like I say, this will be a real challenge.

View attachment 153089View attachment 153090

But... That's not a CONCEPT as proven by the picture of it actually flying. Cool scale model though.

How about the Von Braun Ferry Rocket? Cluster, staging and RC all in one rocket. There may be straight lines in this one but not parallel.

Richard

But... That's not a CONCEPT as proven by the picture of it actually flying. Cool scale model though.

Okie doke, how 'bout one of these...

dalek missile1.jpgdalek missile2.jpgdalek missile3.jpg

Don't remember which episode they came from. Nose cone looks like same one as Fat Boy.

When I saw the post on the German Sanger II, I fell in love with it. I started searching for documentation and even had plans on purchasing a plastic model of it from Germany. Before going any further I decided to check with the NAR contest officials to make sure it would be allowed and unfortunatley Turbo Ram Jets, "Scram Jets" are not considered a rocket motor so the Sanger II would not be allowed.

SOOOOO. I am still looking for a model but beleive I want to do something similar, that is a small shuttle that is piggy back on another winged craft that BOTH are rocket powered. The key will be the documentation so I have something to prove it was something considered in real like and enough details of the crafts so I can build it.

I do appreciate all the suggestions I've gotten so far.

John Boren

sangerpic2.jpg

Wow, they really push you into tiny corner. Here's a few more ideas---asgard.jpgdual rocket.jpgGalaxy quest.jpgimage-of-North-American-General-Dynamics-shuttle.jpgImage-of-North-American-General-Dynamics-shuttle1.jpgImage-of-Starclipper.jpgpre shuttle.gif---Of course you could do the 20 mill ship I'm working on now--trust me, you'll see first flight before me---but don't use my plans--I chose to make some small changes for one reason or the other. You might consider the old Flash Gordon ships---REALLY RETRO , but doable. Anyway here's more ideas--you'll have to do the legwork----H

How about the Junkers RT-8? The orbiter looks similar, but the booster is not as sleek.
Junkers_RT-8 Raumtransporter.jpg

More info here:
https://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/ev1n6.htm

There is the Lockheed CL-655:
Lockheed CL-655.jpg
It has a very sleek looking booster, and a stubby, almost lifting body orbiter, but there does not seem to be much information about it.

and this from Boeing:
boeing_second_gen_shuttle.jpg
three stages!

but good luck finding enough information to build a model.

This website has an interesting look at some of the early space shuttle concepts:
https://www.nss.org/resources/library/shuttledecision/chapter08.htm

Last edited:
Lots of great stuff at that website. I've always wanted to a do a starclipper but don't believe there is enough fin area to make it stable.

John Boren

No love bro!!! OK, OK, It's been on the back burner---but-the staged version works out a lot better than the single boost version--that whole cp/cg thing.Plus,--- with my new found way of doing compound curves---YES PINKY!!!!--H

You may have already decided on your project but here's one we all missed----space plane.pngspace plane 2.pngspace plane 3.png--H

Last edited:
I've thought of the Sanger I but I bet they would most likely make me model the Booster portion as well since you are not allowed to just model the upper stage if in fact it always flew with a booster. In this case would have flown would be more correct. And since this booster stayed attached to the 1.8 mile rail system it used to accelerate along I don't think this model would be eligible, but it is supper cool.

John Boren

At NARAM this summer, Estes was giving out their "Astron Sprint XL" kit. The nose cone is just about right for the front half of the sustainer. Their BT-60 3:1 Ogive is pretty close for the back half. With some care (cutting off the shoulder of one cone and trimming the inside of the cone, and cutting short the shoulder of the other) you should be able to graft them together into something pretty convincing for a Tiamat. Of course, that would be for Sport Scale, not concept scale...

Peter Alway

You might consider the old Flash Gordon ships---REALLY RETRO , but doable.
On that note, take a look here:
https://shop.hydraminiatures.com/

Click on "War Rocket". That gets you to a line of miniatures for use in a wargame. You might be able to build something using the pictures in the on-line catalogue, or if you're really keen you could buy the model of your choice and upscale it. :)

There are some really cool looking designs at that web site. I have a feeling they might not be allowed in this event, but I could be wrong.

John Boren

Yes, they would probably fall under this exclusion:
"Science fiction themed rocket kits that do not appear in actual works of science fiction or rockets in generic science fiction illustrations"

Here is the link to the rules for the event John is talking about entering:
https://www.nar.org/pinkbook/56_CSC.html

kj

Yes, they would probably fall under this exclusion:
"Science fiction themed rocket kits that do not appear in actual works of science fiction or rockets in generic science fiction illustrations"
Would this count as an actual work of science fiction?
https://www.hydraminiatures.com/Space Pirates-War Rocket.pdf

The first couple of pages are the background to the Space Pirates. Most of the rest is specific game stuff, though if you scroll down to page 9 there are some colour schemes, and pages 12-14 are a short story.

Come to that, would you be allowed to design your own science fiction themed rocket and then write your own story about it? The rule doesn't say the actual work of science fiction must have been published and sold... :)

Probably not since it's not published fiction- it's game flavor.

As to writing your own story, see the first exclusion.

kj

Subjects excluded from this event:

- Vehicles from unpublished fiction and amateur films
- Science fiction or futuristic designs published by model rocketry manufacturers, publications, or organizations specifically for flying model construction
- Science fiction themed rocket kits that do not appear in actual works of science fiction or rockets in generic science fiction illustrations
- Generic illustrations of a class of proposed vehicle rather than a specific program
- Real prototypes that appeared in science fiction, unless so modified that they could not be flown in Sport Scale
- Amateur rockets and missiles, except when the prototype is of obvious historical significance

Back