Need Concept Scale Model idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
I need help picking out a Concept Scale Model for NARAM. I’ll have most of the build done on my Navaho in a couple more weeks, so I need to start drawing up plans for a Really Cool Never been done before Concept Scale Model.

I was thinking about doing the Venture Star but Now I’m not too keen on doing it. I’m not really interested in Star Wars, or Battle Star Galactica Model s. I love the Thunder Bird stuff but it’s been done before as well.

Some of my requirements are.

Got to be Cool Looking!
Can’t be made out of simple Round Body Tubes!
Has to be able to earn mission points, like Cluster, staging Glide Recover etc. .
Needs to be able to fly without adding clear plastic fins and needs to survive a landing without taking on damage.
Need to have at very least a good set of views, top, side, front and rear. Better still a set of line drawings with cross sections is preferred as well. NASA stuff is fine as is SciFi stuff. I just haven’t seen anything yet that rocks my boat.

I’ve seen lots of cool stuff on line but most of it won’t qualify since it’s just an artist’s conceptual work and it needs to be more main stream, published in books or seen in a movie or cartoon or something like that.

If you have any suggestions and URL links I would love to hear and see them. Thanks.

I’ll post a build thread of the model as well.

John Boren

A Saturn IC with an X-20 on top 1/70th or 1/100th scale
That would be awesome !
V3N4-drawings-Model - Copy.jpg

A Saturn IC with an X-20 on top 1/70th or 1/100th scale

X-20 been done tons of time and the Saturn is just a bunch of tubes.

German A-9/A10

A tube with wings

Need something more Curvey.

John Boren

Planet Express?

what-about-the-planet-express-ship-i-wonder-how-i-8841-1231969620-9.jpg
tumblr_lqcci1yVKX1qa9armo1_500.jpg

Mainstream ✔
Cartoon ✔
Cluster ✔
Dark Matter Engines ✔
Not a simple round body tube ✔

what-about-the-planet-express-ship-i-wonder-how-i-8841-1231969620-9.jpg

tumblr_lqcci1yVKX1qa9armo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Planet Express?

I actually thought of that one myself but I could never find enough good information on it to build and accurate scale model of it.

John Boren

tall order...doubt that you would win many friends with an 'orion'(boom boom) space craft (not after you started dropping m80s under the thrust/buffer plate) :). um, the 'USS George w Bush' (from Iron Sky). perhaps a blimp/zeppelin?
Rex

First Spaceship on Venus?
first-spaceship-on-venus.jpg

Something from Dan Dare?
Dan_Dare_Cryptosian_Ship.jpg

While these are neat, I can't find much information about them.

tall order...doubt that you would win many friends with an 'orion'(boom boom) space craft (not after you started dropping m80s under the thrust/buffer plate) :). um, the 'USS George w Bush' (from Iron Sky). perhaps a blimp/zeppelin?
Rex

Why not do both-- space zeppelin...

Check out the images...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?32311-quot-Iron-Sky-quot-Nazis-from-the-moon/page3

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Nazis-from-the-moon&p=457831#post457831

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Nazis-from-the-moon&p=457833#post457833

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Nazis-from-the-moon&p=457838#post457838

And many more options/spaceships...

Later! OL JR :)

This might be handy for you:
https://dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-spaceships-398790051

I always thought that the USS Cygnus from "the Black Hole" might be an interesting build. I am not sure it will fly w/o lexan wings though. you could do it with a balsa subframe and then tissue red on it with maybe some small LEDs to give it that "glowy" red look.

Anyhow. Lots of options on that poster. Not sure how useful it is.

Jack Hagerty's Spaceship Handbook

Great Book, Got it, Read it. Everyone should own it. Most of the cool ones in there have been done before. The book does show the X-33 \ Venture Star which was at the top of the list at one time but now isn't.

John Boren

German Sanger II

Now that's what I'm talking about. I would need more info on it to build it though. I will search the web to see if I can find any good three views.

Looks like Revell made a plastic model of this at one time. It would be great to cut slices through it to get cross sections. They are selling on Ebay right now for $150.00 to $200.00. To rich for me.

John Boren

Sanger 2.jpg

Sanger 2.jpg

Last edited:
Liberator from "Blake's 7"
Starbug from "Red Dwarf"

I've always liked the lunar carrier from UFO, it's similar to a XF5U flapjack so I'm sure you could get it to glide, especially if you did it light like in depron or fff.....straight thrustline, tailerons....
I'm working on a Sky 1 right now....would be a good boost glider, although for mission points you might have to shoot out of the water on boost:)

sgBlueLunarCarrier.jpg

$(KGrHqFHJDUE63ZS!c,,BPtZzZlfbw~~60_57.JPG

sky1s.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's what I'm talking about. I would need more info on it to build it though. I will search the web to see if I can find any good three views.

Looks like Revell made a plastic model of this at one time. It would be great to cut slices through it to get cross sections. They are selling on Ebay right now for $150.00 to $200.00. To rich for me.

John Boren

Noris Raketen sells this model but their in Germany
https://www.noris-raketen.de/shop/article_764/S%C3%A4nger-3.html?sessid=gBcdI286K9jyIYxzz3DXUjwPC4ESs6aNoKWQaHjdYuzoUhzN2wZZLmXqiheqJoSq&shop_param=cid%3D4%26aid%3D764%26

This might just fit the bill--I've been eyeballing this for a year or so. You should get some extra points for this----Skylon---skylon.jpgskylon1.jpgskylon_9.jpg--- Lots of info availble for it ------H

Hornet...how about the X-37?

x-37.jpg

I am not 100% sure what would qualify or not...but looks like a pretty neat project no matter what you would choose!

Hornet...how about the X-37?

View attachment 152956

I am not 100% sure what would qualify or not...but looks like a pretty neat project no matter what you would choose!

Well, I for one like it . But, it's not a concept, so you might have a problem there. That said, you can cluster it and glide it!! The X-37 is a --hmmmm--safer bet, but if you could make the skylon work--with a little luck on your side----:cool:---H

OK..sorry about that....I like the one you picked because its pretty cool...how about some of the old proposed SST designs from the 60's?

art35-2.jpgConvairSSTs.jpg

Honestly, I was leaning in that direction--don't know why I did'nt mention it. One of the concepts was a swing wing with pretty close coupled engines--at least doable ,even with an engine out situation at launch, and way doable as a glider if all goes well. I think it was a Boeing design the 2707 if memory serves me. In the end they settled on a delta configuration but the swing wing was a cool looking bird. There should be quite a bit of info on it if you dig a bit. One thing about it---you get a really good launch profile and a nice slower decent as a glider---WAY DOABLE--just a little work to make it happen----Frankly, I'm a little surprised it has not been done before, just begs to be built---boeing-sst.jpg---H

I don't know all the rules for this event but I don't believe Airplanes are allowed. Needs to be something that goes into space.

John Boren

Space travel not required. Has to be something rocket powered, though.

kj

Purpose
Concept Sport Scale Competition is a variation of Sport Scale. The purpose of this competition is to produce a flying replica of either a fictional or a seriously proposed, but unflown rocket vehicle that differs from Sport Scale Competition (Rule 53) only in the nature of the prototype and substantiation data.

Exclusions
Subjects excluded from this event:
-Vehicles from unpublished fiction and amateur films
-Science fiction or futuristic designs published by model rocketry manufacturers, publications, or organizations specifically for flying model construction
-Science fiction themed rocket kits that do not appear in actual works of science fiction or rockets in generic science fiction illustrations
-Generic illustrations of a class of proposed vehicle rather than a specific program
-Real prototypes that appeared in science fiction, unless so modified that they could not be flown in Sport Scale
-Amateur rockets and missiles, except when the prototype is of obvious historical significance

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the SpaceMaster. I will for sure at least look to see what's out there.

John Boren

Back